Help me pick out a face mill

I'nm not a good enough machinist to comparison judge but my face mills from Maritool seem quite good. When I call or email I get Frank the owner and the package comes the next day. My bread and butter in the accounting business are smaller family held companies so I try to go that route if the quality and service are there and Maritool delivers. I think their stuff is a little higher in price to the Haas mentioned and I have not used both for comparison. Dave

Ordered the Glacern R8 mill with two sets of inserts, for steel and aluminum. Looking forward to trying it out! As always, appreciate the informative and willing nature of everyone here!

A couple of months ago I ordered a 3" cutter (6 inserts) from a vendor I've forgotten the name of, they had advertised that they supplied Sandvik inserts, implying their wares deserved the best inserts. Upon arrival I assembled the cutter, it's mount and the inserts. (inserts came in a proprietary pack, not Sandvik.) One small pass, chatter, screech, etc., terrible finish. I removed the cutter from my mill, examined and found two of the six inserts did NOT SEAT in the pockets. I returned the package and got my money refunded.
Ya gotta be careful what you spend your hard earned dollars on.

Looks good to me. Now what are going to make?

There's a little bit of a lip half way through where the passes intersect.. if that makes sense. Small but I want to figure it out.

I've been collecting all sorts of cut offs from ebay over the past few months.

First project is probably some aluminum soft jaws for the vise!

A couple of months ago I ordered a 3" cutter (6 inserts) from a vendor I've forgotten the name of, they had advertised that they supplied Sandvik inserts, implying their wares deserved the best inserts. Upon arrival I assembled the cutter, it's mount and the inserts. (inserts came in a proprietary pack, not Sandvik.) One small pass, chatter, screech, etc., terrible finish. I removed the cutter from my mill, examined and found two of the six inserts did NOT SEAT in the pockets. I returned the package and got my money refunded.
Ya gotta be careful what you spend your hard earned dollars on.

Too bad you don't remember the name of the vendor, might have saved us new guys some headaches!

I just ordered a 3" Face Mill from Shars with 6 carbide inserts, 20% Black Friday deal. I'm not sure who makes what. The inserts are made in the USA (and not available for the 20% off) the head is made somewhere else and I did get 20% off on that. I hope it works out OK.

There's a little bit of a lip half way through where the passes intersect.. if that makes sense. Small but I want to figure it out.

I've been collecting all sorts of cut offs from ebay over the past few months.

First project is probably some aluminum soft jaws for the vise!
Sounds like the head of the mill needs to be Trammed.

Tim

Back