Help me spend my money! It’s mill-shoppin’ time...

I got in on this thread late, but I really feel like you made the right choice there by putting a higher ceiling on your original budget as well as choosing Precision Matthews.

Great progress.

I got in on this thread late, but I really feel like you made the right choice there by putting a higher ceiling on your original budget as well as choosing Precision Matthews.

Great progress.

Thanks. Now, whether you're right (about me choosing right) will hinge on if I can get the last piece down into the basement. We may be trying that later today, stand by.

Although it was a battle, the knee is not wounded.
On the home stretch...

Attachments

• 20200308_101029.jpg
    20200308_101029.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Tired yet? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, I'm gettin' too old for this…

However, success: everything is now down in the basement, plus a 310lb surface plate.

Me and a pal tilted the base over and controlled it down with the Horrible Fright engine hoist. It's laying across two automotive wheel dollies. We screwed those backing boards together with tiedown straps trapped between, then screwed on a cleat across the bottom. The tiedowns were just to keep things reasonably lined up.

Attachments

• 20200308_145918.jpg
    20200308_145918.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
Then we slid the package down a slide platform made of two layers of sheathing and studs for side rails. It is screwed right to the steps.

We lowered it with a belay rope and rock climbing gear. The casting was on the rope and the backboard just went along for the ride. It was there to keep from scraping up the paint.

The whole job went pretty smoothly. Must have been a low-gravity day after all.

Attachments

• 20200308_154617.jpg
    20200308_154617.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The whole job went pretty smoothly. Must have been a low-gravity day after all.

To me it just looks like you understand what you're doing.....and have maybe done this before..... ;)

Nicely Done!

-brino

To me it just looks like you understand what you're doing.....and have maybe done this before..... ;)

Nicely Done!

-brino

Thanks. I guess I learned something from my less-than-smooth work taking the lathe parts down.

Back