Help me spend my money! It’s mill-shoppin’ time...

luxige

Registered
Registered
I’m planning to make my final decision this week and pull the trigger on a new mill.
I decided to buy new partly to avoid buying an endless project, partly because the vast majority of available used equipment in my area runs on industrial power and is too tall and/or heavy for me to deal with.

I want to do a variety of work. Think clocks, car suspension parts, engine work, steam models. No commercial work, just hobby stuff.
All of the options I list below will sorta fit my budget. At the top end, I have to look at it just so, and maybe kid myself a little, but I’ll make it work. But I do need to get some solid value for my money. As far as comparing machine specs and features, here are my priorities, in order I think:
1 — Precision.
2 — Rigidity, weight
3 — Power. I’m getting too old to wait around for a tiny machine to make a thousand passes.
4 — High RPM. I think I’ll be using some pretty small tools for some work.
5 — Racing stripes. Although I am willing to add these myself.
6 — Convenience features. 3 axis DRO. I’m not in this to think hard. X power for sure. PDF on the quill would be really nice too.

After a lot of shopping the usual suspects, I decided to go with Precision Matthews for a variety of reasons.
When they first released their new 728VT mill a few months ago, it ticked a lot of boxes and I thought that would be it. A big part of that decision was budgetary. After thinking it over, I figured it would most likely be a stepping stone machine, and I’d want to upgrade later.
Now the policy of “Buy once, cry once” has me looking at larger, more powerful mills. I have stretched the budget really hard. Then I let it sit a bit to take on the new dimensions, then stretched it some more. There’s a job somewhere in D.C. for me, I’m sure.

Here’s what I’m considering now. Prices are US$ in Feb 2020 and include user-installed 3 axis DRO and X and Z powerfeed, factory base for bench mills, shipping, and liftgate service. The machine will go into my garage to be dismantled for a trip down into my small basement shop, probably easier with the bench mills. Must run on 220V single phase.

1 — 932M bench mill. 1.5 hp, 1100 lb, 6 speeds to 1970 rpm, $4300
pros: true PDF on quill, price includes factory installation of X and Z power feeds and DRO, decent size work envelope
cons: all Chinese-made with no specs given for spindle runout or bearing class. Want more power. More!

2 — 833TV bench mill. 2 hp, 1059 lb, variable speed to 3200 rpm, $5730
pros: one-shot lube system, large work envelope, good top speed, all Taiwan-made, C5 tapered bearings, spindle runout within .0002”
cons: no PDF. Would rather have angular contact bearings, but that’s a minor point. It’s tall enough that the head would have to fit between the rafters to lift to full height, a little goofy but not a deal breaker.
note: the gearhead version 833T has a top speed of 1500 and only saves $200 compared to the 833TV.

3 — 835S knee mill. 3 hp, 1400 lb, 8 speeds to 2720 rpm, $5720 (Z axis power not in stock, would add $320)
I’m only including this since it is about the same money as the 833TV. I’d love that 3 hp, PDF, and precision C5 spindle. But this thing is nearly 7-1/2 feet tall. To keep nod and tilt functions of the head, I’d have to chop about 9” out of the base and drill a hole in the floor for the Z jack screw. The next knee mill in their lineup is quite a bit shorter and higher quality all around, but the $1800 price bump puts it out of reach.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have. I think I have my choice, but I’d like to hear your views. What say you?

Just something to think about, I have a small mill that has power X, and 1 spd Z, no Y, it takes a lot of turns to crank the Y in, and out, but I'm old too.

How about the PM935? I have a PM45-PDF which is the predecessor to the PM932. If the PM935 was available back then I probably would have bought one.

Just something to think about, I have a small mill that has power X, and 1 spd Z, no Y, it takes a lot of turns to crank the Y in, and out, but I'm old too.
Yeah, I'd really like Y power as well. Only available as an option on the knee mills. If I get the 833 I'd look into adapting a y power unit to work.

How about the PM935? I have a PM45-PDF which is the predecessor to the PM932. If the PM935 was available back then I probably would have bought one.
Oh, I looked at that one a loooong time. Really everything I'm asking for, but unless I find a thousand bucks in the sofa cushions, it's out of the running.

"Engine Work & Suspension"? - then Knee Mill.
Powered 'Z' axis would be nice, though you can use an adapter and a power drill.
And doing the 'Z' manually some of the time helps with cardio exercise. At least that's what I tell myself. :grin:
There's a thought! Thanks for the link…

It sounds like you have some height issues? I had a similar problem, although apparently a harder ceiling at 6,6" which made most knee mills a hard no for me short of putting the head up through the kitchen floor (a hard no from my wife). So many knee mills mount the motor above the head which makes them very tall.

There are some shorter knee mills out there used, Clausing, Rockwell, Millrite, but staying with new, Grizzly is the only one I know that offers a knee mill in the 6 foot tall range, they have a smaller 6x26 and larger 8x30. G0678, G0695, G0729, G0731 and G0822. They are a long way from a Bridgeport or the PM835, but compare well to large bench mills with the added benefit of having a knee. Sorry to throw a wrench into your options. A Clausing found me and for my space it really was the perfect machine.

Heh heh. You never know, though. If I get into clockwork stuff, one of those little guys might be just the thing…

Don't dismiss the idea of two machines. It is true that you can make small parts on a big machine, but it can be more pleasant to make them on a small machine. Also let's you focus more on a good generall machine and not worry so much about finding one good for all things, then look for a small mill if you seriously get into small stuff like clocks.

Back