Help me spend my money on a TIG welder!

I bought mine at Air Liquide, before Linde bought them out in Alberta. Every industrial place that sells is a candidate for lease returns. You might be able to find out who leases welders using bank leases from the suppliers if you are careful and ask the right way. Most lease terms are 2-3 years, and then the unit has zero accounting value at the end.

Interesting. I will check into that. Thanks.

So... Horrible Fright went and discontinued the ProTig line. They still have stock in stores, and they still have stock for online sales of everything but the ProTig200. I called various stores to check stock, and the nearest one was something like 4.5 hours away. Didn't feel like spending a whole Saturday driving. So, I have a bunch of gift cards for HF sitting on my desk, getting VERY slowly spent on other stuff. But, thanks to one little post I went and checked out Everlast and they were running a preorder sale. I called them up about finding a dealer in KY, and they said that they didn't have any, but that I could just go ahead and order on the phone. I fell for it (was planning on doing so anyway), and they threw in an upgraded torch and pedal (they called it the "Nova" kit). The preorder was only three days long, got the machine already!Haven't made any heat with it yet, but it did power up! We'll see how it goes after I get some gas.

Attachments

• IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 16
You should be happy I’ve heard good thing about the everlast even though it’s not blue or red. You would have regretted the HF they discontinued for a reason. Happy welding!

I'm guessing that HF bought a container ship's worth of Vulcans, and they just ran out of them. I'm guessing there is another AC/DC welder coming with a green box with "Titanium" blazoned on the side. So... if the warranty needed to be used, I would probably have ended up with a "Titanium" equivalent instead of the orange one. So... let's hope the Everlast works out and any warranty issues will be fine!

It's a PowerTig 200DV, by the way.

I have had my Everlast powertig 185 now for 5 years? and its been problem free.

Your post, number five, is what made me look at their site and look at some reviews.

Which means... I blame you for my spending money!

I had an everlast 160STH and everything on that machine broke or stopped working. I just sold it for $50.... The TIG high frequency and lift arc stopped working and I had to TIG with it set to stick and had to hook up the gas directly to the torch..... Is was a great machine to learn on but I wouldn't recommend it....

Congrats, I've heard good things about the Everlast but it was out of my budget. I just ordered a PrimeWeld TIG225X for $775 out the door on Amazon. For the features I couldn't find a better TIG for the price, not even the AHP ($819 with shipping and tax). From what I understand the Prime Weld TIG is very similar/same as the AHP underneath but comes with a real CK torch and additional 25 amps, both pre and post flow control. The duty cycle is slightly less at 40% but I think that's just a math trick i.e. AHP gives you 60% duty cycle at lower amps, TIG225X gives you 40% at higher amps.

My Thunderbolt AC/DC with scratch TIG setup is now for sale. Great little rig but I can't justify keeping it with the new one on the way.

Congrats, I've heard good things about the Everlast but it was out of my budget. I just ordered a PrimeWeld TIG225X for $775 out the door on Amazon. For the features I couldn't find a better TIG for the price, not even the AHP ($819 with shipping and tax). From what I understand the Prime Weld TIG is very similar/same as the AHP underneath but comes with a real CK torch and additional 25 amps, both pre and post flow control. The duty cycle is slightly less at 40% but I think that's just a math trick i.e. AHP gives you 60% duty cycle at lower amps, TIG225X gives you 40% at higher amps.

My Thunderbolt AC/DC with scratch TIG setup is now for sale. Great little rig but I can't justify keeping it with the new one on the way.

Please let us know what you like and dislike about your PrimeWeld TIG225X when you get it. I have been looking around for a tig for a while... every year they seem to get fancier and less expensive. I am looking at the exact same units you are looking at. I also noticed the 225a @ 40% vs 200a at 60%. I noticed the Primweld was a bit heavier than the Alpha (90lbs vs 69lbs)... so they probably threw a couple extra cement blocks in the bottom of the Primeweld case. The control layout on the Primeweld seems well laid out and very intuitive, more so than the Alpha... but I guess I would get used to the controls on any welder I purchase.

It looks like the Primeweld TIG225X is $775 on Amazon and the AlphaTig 200X is $730 on Amazon + $30 shipping... so really not much difference.

It seems like it wasn't THAT long ago that the Everlast welders were the cheap unproven import welders that everyone was contemplating gambling their money on... with lots of good reviews and lots of horror stories.

Last edited:
Back