Help me understand what to do next, bicycle shifter woes

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So it's an unusually nice day today, thought it would be nice to take a bicycle ride. Find all the crapola, shorts, gloves, brain bucket, and pump up the tires. Go out on the street and saddle up and then down the street. Hmm, no shifting, maybe I forgot how... Get a ways and gee, nothings making sense, if I shift the paddle, it doesn't shift, what's going on? Finally wangle the gear into something I can ride with and go back home. Find the cheapo bike stand and set it up. Yep, it's not doing the right thing. These are Shimano Ultegra "Flight Deck" shifters and Ultegra Derailleurs. The shifters are the kind where there are two of them which you push for up and down respectively. It is also integrated in with the brake lever.
After putzing around getting nowhere, I decide I've been temporarily defeated and bring it to the bike shop where I bought it.

I've had this Trek Pilot 5.2 Carbon Fiber frame bike for a while, and have really enjoyed it. It was hand made in the US. Bought it as it was last years model, for a discount, ages ago. It's surely not the best bike, nor have I kept up with all the fancy bike stuff, but it is a nice ride.

Anyways, the bike shop tells me the shifter is worn out, and Shimano doesn't sell parts for it, only the whole assembly. But I can't buy a new Ultegra, because they are now designed for cassettes with 11 or 12 gears, and I have 10 on my bike. But there's the Tegra which I could buy - but it's back ordered until December 2023. So no more riding for me this season. :( But the Tegra will require a new matching rear derailleur. The bike tech said it could be that the shifter is full of congealed old grease and that's affecting it. Anyways, the bill for doing this (and bringing the bike back up to snuff) is pretty high, like $720, which gives me pause. Actually more like oh cr@p, but trying to keep it clean here.

I'm kind of miffed the shifter has worn out, as I don't have that many miles on it. Anyways, I'm searching for any suggestions, or ideas on what I can do. A new bike is probably not in the cards. So got any repair ideas? I'm not a bike guy, so use ordinary language when explaining stuff.

So I could look around for shifters. Maybe remove the current shifter and dunk it in an ultrasonic cleaner? Save my pennies and do X? What is X? Thanks in advance for any and all helpful suggestions.
PXL_20231003_211236620.jpgPXL_20231003_211247641.jpgPXL_20231003_211315079.jpg

If its “borked” anyways, I’d probably try and take the derailer apart and see if it was packed with hardened/firmed up grease. Clean, regrease, reassemble and see what ya get.

As I said, not much to loose if its already “borked”…

I do find it odd that the derailer is worn out though, considering its not that old and you say not much for miles on it.

My road bike is more than a decade old (brand:Giant) and despite having lots of miles on it and sitting around for extended periods, still works as new…

Hard to give much useful advice without close up pics of the hardware- "shifter worn out" isn't much to go on
I would certainly want a second opinion before forking over tons of ducats
If it worked last time it couldn't have totally worn out just sitting there- the grease theory might make sense.

Strip it down. There's nothing scary in there, and certainly nothing you won't be able to fix or fettle yourself, but you'll probably find out it's just full of sticky grease. Or none at all. The Shimano stuff isn't usually poor quality, so I'd be very surprised if it's genuinely "worn out".

The derailleur is ok, it's the shifters up by the handle bar. I don't even know how to disassemble them at this point. Like how does one get the hood off? I'm sure I have to unwrap the tape which is ok, since it needs some help.

About a year ago, the shifting was getting a bit weird, but I sort of forgot about it. It didn't get better.

if you don't have much mileage on it, the shifter is not worn out. I would take the derailer and the shifter apart and clean them. Lube them, re-install them. If you are not going to try that. Spray it down heavily with wd40 and see if the solvent loosens it up. if it does, use some teflon and go ride.

Hard to give much useful advice without close up pics of the hardware- "shifter worn out" isn't much to go on
I would certainly want a second opinion before forking over tons of ducats
If it worked last time it couldn't have totally worn out just sitting there- the grease theory might make sense.
Claim by tech is the shifter is worn out. I can tell there's no cable action when using the shifter when there should be. Actually sometimes there is, but it is inconsistent.

It's possible the grease under the hood is congealed or something like that. At the moment, I don't even really know how to remove the hood non destructively.

Claim by tech is the shifter is worn out. I can tell there's no cable action when using the shifter when there should be. Actually sometimes there is, but it is inconsistent.

It's possible the grease under the hood is congealed or something like that. At the moment, I don't even really know how to remove the hood non destructively.
well time to search youtube for videos on how to service it.

if you don't have much mileage on it, the shifter is not worn out. I would take the derailer and the shifter apart and clean them. Lube them, re-install them. If you are not going to try that. Spray it down heavily with wd40 and see if the solvent loosens it up. if it does, use some teflon and go ride.
I know it's less than 3000 miles. Can't image it would wear out that quickly...

Back