Help needed for capacitors on old GE motor

I'm way out in the sticks, no motor shop for a hundred miles. I know about nothing when it comes to electricity. If I take the motor apart will the start switch be apparent? Sorry guys for my lack of knowledge.

OK guys took it all apart. It only has one switch in it. The switch has two soldered wires on it. Neither wire has a number on it. One wire goes and connects to the #8 wire and the other goes and connects to one of the wires with a clip on it, which I think goes to one of the capacitors.

OK the one with the clip on it definitely goes to the larger start cap. Is that the wire with no number? If so, then the other start cap wire is most likely #5.
Then wires 9 and 10 go to the smaller run cap. Fingers crossed ;)

Many motors have wiring info on them somewhere to tell you how to choose whether it is 120 or 220. Often on the inside of the cover to the electrical box or on the nameplate.

OK guys and especially Mark, you all have responded more than I could have hoped for. I think I have the info I need. I'll buy a couple of capacitors, some wire and switches, put it all back together and see what happens. This has been a journey on learning for me and that is what life is all about. As I said I live way out and I do most all my shopping and buying online, no ups or fedex up at my house, my stuff has to be left in town and I go in and pick it up. I don't get off my place much, but I enjoy the way I live. Just us, my dogs and all the animals. Had about 20 mule deer come by a few days ago and about half were bucks, sure nice watching them. And don't let anyone tell you the Grizzly bears aren't doing well, Life is always good guys and never a bad day, just some a little better than others.

It'll be about 10 days or so but I'll let everyone know how it turns out, again thanks Guys.

Mike
Montana

Good deal Mike- I've heard land is still somewhat affordable there- sounds real peaceful too. I would miss the convenience of UPS though.
What about regular mail? Do they make the trek out to you?
M
ps How long have you lived there?

Last edited:
Mark, we bought our place back in the 90's at 750.00 a acre (160 acres, just land). It is a lot more now but not unaffordable depending on your tradeoffs (Do you want overseas vacations and trips to the carribean every year and a new car or motorhome in the driveway). In my opinion it is very peaceful....... I have no desire to get off my place and if I get a hankering for some mingling I just ride my atv or take my truck into town (about 700 people), visit a few folks or go have a drink or two........I do find I am a little chatty after keeping to myself quite awhile so I have to remember to let other folks talk. What's fantastic about here are the animals.......we have all of them and they do come by especially in August and later as water gets low and they come by to get a drink. What a feeling to be watching TV and see a Grizzly come walking by to take a drink of water. The Grouse walk around like Chickens, some will walk up to within 5 feet of you or so. You wonder how they survive being like that. We have to go into town to get our mail at a P.O. Box and winter can be a challenge, but it is all a tradeoff. My only regret is not coming here 10 years before I did . I just try to fit in here and not change anything and live just like the folks that are here. It took about 5 years to be accepted, but after that I'm just like I was born here. We have a real nice home and I have a fully equipped gunsmith shop build on to the house. I try to save up projects for winter to keep me busy and have missed the last two New Year eves in town due to being snowed in. I also have a wife that doesn't need a mall and I think likes our lifestyle more than I do.

My saying is: As early as you can, Figure out where you want to be buried and start heading there!

Thanks again Mark for your help.

Well 42 degrees at 8:30 this morning, chilly. Got the capacitors and put them in, Plugged the motor in and just a loud hum. so I'm stuck

OK time to experiment- remove the caps and try finding continuity between pairs of wires. That should give you an idea which pairs receive caps. Then try connecting the large cap to one pair or another till it starts. You can leave off the small cap at first.
Mark

The wire that came from the internal start switch should be (must be) one of the start cap wires. I had assumed that GE did things in a numerically sequential fashion, looks like that may not be the case. The other possibility is that the motor has an open start winding or problem with the start switch

Back