Help, please. Motor failure - Craftsman 2X42 Belt/Disc Grinder. Appreciate any/all ideas.

Than
I know that we all like to reinvent the wheel. But getting an electrical motor rewound is no big deal. There are lots of places that can do this in the LA area. I did a quick search for SLO and a shop in Santa Maria Perry's Electric Motors popped up. You might try giving them a call. (805) 925-8761 I have no connection or experience with this company. There are probably others in your area. The central valley will also have places that can rewind your motor.

Have the motor rewound and use your sander for another 30 years.
Mickri:
Thanks. Appreciate your input.

Maybe I was a bit premature in deciding which way to go. But after having looked pretty closely at the stator windings, I concluded rewinding could be quite an expensive alternative. My thinking was that if retail labor these days runs $125/hr, I would be looking at $300 - $400.

But I just called Perry's anyway, and they were quite helpful. They were up-front about it, and said it would make no sense cost-wise to rewind it. A one-off rewind of a small single phase motor would be extremely time-consuming. They weren't even comfortable giving me an estimate for doing it. We then talked about a potential replacement, but a search through their catalogues ended with no luck finding a dual shaft 1 HP replacement.

So we're back to reinventing the wheel:(
Bill

I’m in awe of your CAD-fu. Just a suggestion. When I did the double reduction on my vert bandsaw I used a motor mount from a dead table saw where it hinges and the motor weight does all the tensioning. Works wonderful, no slipping and total piece of cake change the belt. And never have to adjust the belt!
Tony:
Thanks. The design you describe is one alternative I am looking at. It's the same set-up that is built into the countershaft assembly on my Atlas lathe. The other design I am considering is a sliding mount, which would require some adjustment.

A question on your bandsaw conversion: What speed is your motor, and do you see any vibration/motor jumping?
Thanks, Bill

I’ve had starters, generators, alternators and one industrial motor rebuilt. The biggest disappointment was the motor. It was one of those old HD motors and it hadn’t burned up, it was sick. $140 later it was still sick and they said the old “nature of the beast” saws. This is in ‘78 so that would probably $3-400 now and I could have bought a new motor for the same price. For me the thing that is not reinventing the wheel is getting rid of the built in motor, I don’t like built in motors on anything.

Tony:
Thanks. The design you describe is one alternative I am looking at. It's the same set-up that is built into the countershaft assembly on my Atlas lathe. The other design I am considering is a sliding mount, which would require some adjustment.

A question on your bandsaw conversion: What speed is your motor, and do you see any vibration/motor jumping?
Thanks, Bill
The motor does bump up and down a little because of the belts. They just don’t make e’m like they used to. I should probably go to one of those link type belts but there is almost no vibration in the machine and it’s quiet. It has never slipped the belt.

Bill - I absolutely love your idea of re-using the motor case, with a pulley inside. Delightfully stealthy way to get the job done! And if you use a link belt to drive it, you won't have to do major sugery if and when it comes time to replace the belt.

Bill - I absolutely love your idea of re-using the motor case, with a pulley inside. Delightfully stealthy way to get the job done! And if you use a link belt to drive it, you won't have to do major sugery if and when it comes time to replace the belt.
John: I had not thought of the link belt option. Will also make locating the motor a touch easier! Thanks, Bill

I am working to complete this conversion, but had to make a change.

Initially I was going to use a spare 3.5HP 2-speed spa motor as a driver. But I couldn't get it to fit on the existing base. So I decided to use a 3/4HP 3450RPM motor off an old King-Seeley/Craftsman jointer that I don't use anymore.

Here is a model of what the final product will look like, showing the 3/4HP motor mounted to the base.

Modified 2X42 Belt_Disc Grinder Pulley System v6.jpg

And a week later - here is the real, working machine.
DSC_0014.JPGDSC_0013.JPG

Attachments

• Modified 2X42 Belt_Disc Grinder with Smaller Motor.pdf
    363.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back