Help To Identify The Needed Insert For This Boring Bar

Ed ke6bnl

Registered
Registered
says on the side Viking 8BBB-82 and the insert has no hole the legs measure .404 in and the inscribed circle in .140 and it is .125 thick. and what seems like a 7 degree rake I believe it is called2015-07-27 14.36.59.jpg 2015-07-27 14.40.07.jpg 2015-07-27 14.40.07.jpg 2015-07-27 14.36.38.jpg Can this be used as an internal threading tool?

I don't believe you will be able to find an insert TNG 321 (the last number is the radius in 64ths of the corner) or there abouts to cut threads with. There are 'lay-down' threading inserts, but they are flat in the front, not rotated 30º.

Edit: after 35 years you'd think I knew that in TNG the N stood for No relief....

Last edited:
Ed,

That looks like a boring bar tool holder. Or at least what I think is one. I found a similar one in a thrift store not too long ago, and it fits TPG3xx inserts. Hope that helps. Mine was 5/8" shank. I am sure there are various sizes, but the insert in your pic definitely looks to be TPG.

The best I can make out is this is a TPGN 122 the bar which I never mentioned its size is considered a 1/2 in and measure .440 on the flats and .500 on the rounded corners.
http://yildiz.edu.tr/~kiyak/INDEXABLE INSERT SYSTEM.pdf
does that make any sense the TPGN122
no hole in the inser= G
IC=1 .140 for the closest 1/8
Thickness .125 for a =2
corner radius
1/32 = 2

Can you post a picture of the side view of the boring bar where the insert rests to determine the angle of the insert. That sure looks like a TNG insert.

Yeah, Viking Tools, came over on the Viking ship many years ago.... They were very early in the insertable tooling along with Carboloy, Greenleef, and a couple others...

this is the side view the insert rests against another triangle piece just like the insert. Just pressure from tightening the allen screw holds it in place.2015-07-27 21.20.03.jpg

That still doesn't show the side view of the bar or insert. Turn the bar where the insert is pointing up and take a picture.

No, that doesn't help.

As I said, rotate the boring bar so the point of the insert is pointing up and take a picture from the position you have the camera in.

Back