Help with Furnas Drum Switch and Westinghouse electric motor.

Phonnold

Registered
Registered
I feel like I am missing something simple here on how to get this all wired up but not sure what it is. I have a Furnas Reversing Controller and a Westinghouse 1/2 HP Type FZ motor, it is single phase and can be wired for 110 and 220. It is also a capacitor start motor. Terminal setups for both the switch and the motor are drawn up in the attached diagram.
Switch_Motor.jpg

First this seems to not be a normal Furnas switch as most of them seem to have the L patter contacts when switched one way or the other and this one doesn't. I also haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for this motor, they seem to be 5 or 8 and this motor has 7 leads. 5 as terminals on a board and 2 as wires next to the board. I have ohm'd the motor and gotten the following out of it.

4,3 to 2,1 = 2.5 ohms
4,3 to 0 = 1.5 ohms
2,1 to 0 = .3 ohms
Red to Yellow had a ohm reading them dropped to 0, is this the capacitor?
Everything other combo is showing open.

So I think there are motor windings between 4,3 and 2,1 but not sure. I would like to get this wired up so that I can use it as 110v right now. Then once I have access to 220, next couple months or so, rewire the motor for that. So sort of stuck here. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

Switch_Motor.jpg

Give this a go my friend---------

L1 from cord to C and jumper to B on switch

L2 from cord to D on switch

Four wires from switch to motor labeled L1, L2, A, E,

F on switch to 1/2 on motor

L2 from cord to 3/4 on motor

A on switch to red on motor

E on switch to yellow on motor

if motor direction does not match switch label, interchange red and yellow

Now go make some SWARF!

So I have this motor figured out now and understand why it wasn't working. I had some config on the motor wrong. Here is what it really is.

4 - coil - 2
3 - coil - 1
0 - thermal fuse - 1

Red - capacitor - coil - Yellow.

I was able to get it wired into the drum switch as well and can make it switch direction with the switch. It is currently just sitting on the bench so I am not sure if the direction is correctly wired or not. Need to get it mounted back on the mill to find that small piece of info out. But now that I know the correct layout swapping the start winding leads is a easy thing to get done.

Next up is to get some new belts. Ones that were there when I got it were pretty bad. On closer inspection one of them was almost broken through. So some more steps still before I can create some swarf. :)

Philip

Back