Help with Mori Seiki MS850 -- newbie purchaser

DrReid

Registered
Registered
Hello. I'm new to this forum, brand new to machining, and it seems appropriate to make a first post asking for help on buying my first lathe.

Quick background: I'm a woodworker and metal fabricator, I've torn apart and rebuilt a motorcycle, and generally have good mechanical skills. Hence, I envisioned a first lathe as a restoration project taking months, a great way to learn the machine I'll use. It's a hobby, not what keeps food on my table. Parts I'll make likely will be mostly mild steel, maybe cast iron, brass, and aluminum, too. Considering part sizes, I recently considered but had to reject two WWII Reed-Prentice 16" lathes.

In the crosshairs: I have a line on a 70's era Mori Seiki MS850 very close to me. 17x40. Machinery dealer bought from another dealer/shop. Headstock gears are pristine, even showing signs of not being fully worn-in. Ways (hardened) are great. No steady rest, follow rest, taper attachment, or tooling (but I already have a CXA QCTP and various holders). Only a 3-jaw chuck. Gear change levers are buttery smooth. Not under power. Dealer was tearing down for own use, but stopped (other interests), so the lathe is in parts, resulting mainly from removal of the apron and lead screw. I put my DI on the chuck and pried under the chuck with a 4x4 timber to induce movement; the needle didn't move -- spindle bearings are excellent. Comes with factory parts lists and diagrams, is represented to be complete (and it appears that way to me), and I already know that I can buy parts as needed from Whacheon.

Would I be a fool to turn this down at $4k firm?

Thanks for advice.

A dealer won't move much for a Mori although the 1250 is more desirable. He might put it back together, test it, and raise the price as Mori's tend to be sought after. Condition is everything but I would look around his shop and find some tooling or something for him to throw in. Sounds like a nice project.

Dave

A dealer won't move much for a Mori although the 1250 is more desirable. He might put it back together, test it, and raise the price as Mori's tend to be sought after. Condition is everything but I would look around his shop and find some tooling or something for him to throw in. Sounds like a nice project.

Dave
Thank you, Dave. I scour Craigslist, FB MP, Offerup, and eBay daily, and I've never seen any Mori appear within a day's drive of me, and so I thought this might be a good deal, especially since the PNW evidently doesn't swim in used offerings. I'd like to see a 4-jaw chuck included here, making the asking price easier to pay.

4 jaws are cheap. Mori's are rare. Wish they had a clutch as I'm spoiled. Dave

That lathe is at the very top of my list, and $4k is a damn good deal. I would expect to see it priced closer to $6k. Yes, the limited tooling is an issue, but I wouldn't pass for that reason.

Hello. I'm new to this forum, brand new to machining, and it seems appropriate to make a first post asking for help on buying my first lathe.

Quick background: I'm a woodworker and metal fabricator, I've torn apart and rebuilt a motorcycle, and generally have good mechanical skills. Hence, I envisioned a first lathe as a restoration project taking months, a great way to learn the machine I'll use. It's a hobby, not what keeps food on my table. Parts I'll make likely will be mostly mild steel, maybe cast iron, brass, and aluminum, too. Considering part sizes, I recently considered but had to reject two WWII Reed-Prentice 16" lathes.

In the crosshairs: I have a line on a 70's era Mori Seiki MS850 very close to me. 17x40. Machinery dealer bought from another dealer/shop. Headstock gears are pristine, even showing signs of not being fully worn-in. Ways (hardened) are great. No steady rest, follow rest, taper attachment, or tooling (but I already have a CXA QCTP and various holders). Only a 3-jaw chuck. Gear change levers are buttery smooth. Not under power. Dealer was tearing down for own use, but stopped (other interests), so the lathe is in parts, resulting mainly from removal of the apron and lead screw. I put my DI on the chuck and pried under the chuck with a 4x4 timber to induce movement; the needle didn't move -- spindle bearings are excellent. Comes with factory parts lists and diagrams, is represented to be complete (and it appears that way to me), and I already know that I can buy parts as needed from Whacheon.

Thanks for advice.
Where are you located? Oh yeah, I see, Salem OR. Hmmmmm... I have the next few days off. What site did you say you found that on? LOL.

Buy it!

Where are you located? Oh yeah, I see, Salem OR. Hmmmmm... I have the next few days off. What site did you say you found that on? LOL.

Buy it!
I know, I know. I hesitated to post the details here realizing that I could get scooped. Folks around here seem a little more genteel and fair than, um, elsewhere.

That lathe is at the very top of my list, and $4k is a damn good deal. I would expect to see it priced closer to $6k. Yes, the limited tooling is an issue, but I wouldn't pass for that reason.
Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate the good words.

Great lathes. That is my daily driver at work.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Thanks for advice.
that's a risky endeavor, maybe he was telling you a story.. he took it apart because there was a problem maybe, I would only buy it if he puts it back together so you can see it fully working. And make sure there are no missing parts. Take someone experienced with you.

Back