Help with Mori Seiki MS850 -- newbie purchaser

I take possession of it at the end of May. For now, how about shots of the headstock and pristine gears?

Attachments

• IMG_6133.jpeg
    IMG_6133.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6142.jpeg
    IMG_6142.jpeg
    593.3 KB · Views: 33
I take possession of it at the end of May. For now, how about shots of the headstock and pristine gears?
not pristine, it's got some wear, and possibly some chipped or broken teeth.. it could be a reflection, but I do see wear. It's been cleaned.
Did you take someone with you to look it over?

Reflections from my flashlight. I rotated the spindle and inspected every gear. No missing or chipped teeth. And, no, I inspected it alone aside from the two octogenarian machinists who run the shop. They think someone before them had been in the headstock. Doing what I have no idea. What do you think has been cleaned? Everything except the headstock interior is covered in filth. I’ve attached another shot of the gears before I turned on my flashlight. The gears still catch some light from a window.

Attachments

• IMG_6141.jpeg
    IMG_6141.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 17
I thought this might have been the area of concern. blown up it looked chipped, but again, it could have been a reflection. By cleaned I mean run through with kerosene and washed out.
IMG_6142.jpg

Understood. It’s a crummy picture. I inspected the ways first and headstock gears second. I took my time. I have no machinist friends around me. I appreciate your concern.

The headstock had some oil at the bottom. Not full, just some, perhaps enough because the sight glass showed oil at the halfway mark. If the gears were cleaned, and shavings washed out, then the headstock refilled with oil, they never let on. I don’t have experienced eyes, but I know enough to look for chipped and missing teeth. I passed on a lathe that had them; fixing gears is out of reach for me, so I was keen to ensure the Mori’s gears looked perfect, or as perfect as they can be after half a century.

Back