Hendey 12 X 30

roverguy

Registered
Registered
Hi

A Hendey 12 X 30 geared head lathe has come up for sale here and I would like to know more about these lathes . It appears to be in OK shape with only surface rust on it in some places .

Is a manual available with the speed chart ?

Hendey has a good reputation as a lathe maker but they are rare over here in Australia .

The weight of it is a concern as I would probably have to move it .

Mike

I know of one in an friends shop. I have never run it, but heard and seen it run. Nice lathe. I believe his is a 12 x 30 also, but maybe a bit longer. Definitely a quality machine. He probably has the paperwork if you need it, and although it's not often I see him, as he's an hour from me, I could probably get a copy of it if he does.

Roverguy,
I have a 12 X 30 Hendey. Mine weighs 3000 pounds. I had a fork lift arranged at pickup and drop site. Moved it with a car trailer. Put the forks under the bed with some wood blocks positioned so the forks didn't touch any mechanisms. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Also I have manuals for mine if its the same vintage I am happy to share.

Best Regards

DSC00230.JPG DSC00231.JPG

Hi.. thanks for the reply from Indiana .

I bought the Hendey, it is here . I paid a guy to move it here , his truck has a crane on it .

It is basically the same as yours, but it is a metric version and it is 12 speed . It was built to a French order, but the Germans invaded France, and it was shipped out here instead .

I have a new 3 phase motor and a VFD for it . The manual came with the Hendey .

I would like to email you .

my email is morrispu@yahoo.com

regards from Mike

This is my 1940 Hendey , it has a 4mm pitch lead screw . You will notice that the Metric version Norton QCGB is reversed compared to a Imperial gearbox .

Mike

hendey.jpg

Wow. Nice. I'm editing this post because I keep thinking about that lathe. Looks like a piece of art. Am I right in thinking it's absolutely top of the line?

Last edited:
That's a handsome lathe. I like the tiebar style too, but that rounded head is awesome. Reminds me of the Gisholts and American Pacemakers. Hell for stout lathes.

Here is a picture of a first cousin to your lathe. When Barber Colman took over the lathe portion of Hendey they built a series of lathes more modern than Hendy in appearance, but with very similiar control layout. This is mine:

P1010059.JPG

P1010059.JPG

Back