Hendey 12 X 30

That's a beautiful Barber Coleman! I assume it has been restored?

I always enjoyed operating a Hendey. The ergonomics of those machines and I got along very well.

Thanks! It really wasn't restored, just cleaned up and put back together. It was (is) in pretty amazing shape. The previous owner was another gearhead tinker who bought and dismantled most of it to clean and paint. I bugged him about it for years, then one day he called and said he was ready to get rid of it. I finsihed cleaning and painting all the bits and pieces, including all the accessories,and put it back together. I now know where those guys went who built the puzzle boxes I played with as a kid. If not for the complete set of manuals I would still be looking at it in pieces. It's so smooth and quite, a real pleasure to operate. It gets cleaned regularly. Really neat part about it is the variable speed DC drive. 220 single phase runs it beautifully. Just turn the knob to set any speed in one of the 3 ranges. 66 different ratios available with the standard gearing, and I have every optional gearing that was available. Now I just need to learn to do it justice. At 3600 pounds it won't be going anywhere soon.....

OK, I'm back, After a month with out a computer. and what's bad about it is all my latest machine pics went with it.
That really is nice modern looking Hendey :))

$2000, delivered. I'm not complaining.....

Ive been watching for a lathe for years before I got mine. I think a lot of them are way over priced. Lots of those old little benchtops for around $1000. From the pictures it looks like you got a deal.

I agree a lot of benchtops are over priced, but they are the only way to get into this hobby at an affordable price. This is my fourth lathe, and it has been a progression in quality, price, and weight.

I agree a lot of benchtops are over priced, but they are the only way to get into this hobby at an affordable price. This is my fourth lathe, and it has been a progression in quality, price, and weight.

I watched a old lathe go for $500 yesterday at a farm auction. Looked like a craftsman, it was a small benchtop. The handwheel on the tail stock was bent, looked like it hadnt been used in 30 years but it was in decent shape.

With the current economy I see some decent prices on benchtops happening. I guess people are clearing out stuff to convert to cash. A buyer needs to be ready to act to get a good price. When I bought my Barber Colman I also got a 14" Boice Crane bandsaw (w/ high/low gearbox!) and a scientific quality vacuum pump. Both of those required some love, but were included in the price. Never forget to ask if there is anything else you can take away with the trailer!

congrats on your hendey!! for some reason not many people know or remember about Hendey laths...you sir have one of the best

hope to see some pictures

Lawrence

Back