Hendey 14x30 Head bearing issue

fullthrottle

Registered
Registered
Hello picked up an old hendey flat belt 14x30 has some head bearing issues it will run for 20 or 30 seconds and lock up anyone know anything about the bearings in these old things, I did not get a manual with it.

can you post pics on here with under 20 post

could sure use a few pointers here this is my first lathe would like to get it up and running if someone knows anything about the head bearings or where i can get a manual for it there are three metal tags on it no serial numbers or identification numbers that i can find except on the side of bed that says 14x30,
any help would sure be appreciated.

I have not clue about this machine, but have you added oil to the oilcups that I can see on each bearing housing? That would be good start. As for oil, for the moment anything like SAE 20 or 30 non detergent will do. Next question, is it Babbitt or ball bearings? I do not see a seam in the castings of your pictures.

Maybe some info here http://www.lathes.co.uk/hendey/page3.html

Pierre

Last edited:
i do have it oiled up pretty good, i don't think its a ball bearing my friend told me tonight it takes a spanner wrench on the brass collar for tightening like a crush sleeve he said he thinks its to tight the holes for the spanner wrench are smucked up on it looks like some one was messing a little with it i hope it don't take a whole lot to get it going right everything works on it, except the bearing is tighter now when i went to look at it the fiirst time it ran long enough to check out things a little bit this thing is heavier then heck.
my friend is coming over saturday hopefully i will be able to post some good news, sure wish i could find a manual some where

The site I posted may have something. Check cone head 12-16 lathes. There is a breakdown of the spindle but not labeled. Yes it appears to be Babbitt or bronze oilite bearings.

You have to use the word search function on the manual page. It looks like the lathe is a 1921 as the pictures sure look the same. There is a contact listed as well.
Pierre

The site I posted may have something. Check cone head 12-16 lathes. There is a breakdown of the spindle but not labeled. Yes it appears to be Babbitt or bronze oilite bearings.

You have to use the word search function on the manual page. It looks like the lathe is a 1921 as the pictures sure look the same. There is a contact listed as well.
Pierre

You are correct it sure looks like the 1921 pic Thank You for the link hopefully i can get to the bottom of this and maybe be able to get it going decent this weekend we will see how much it takes to get it going, I had a chance to get 2 Monarch lathes this last summer with a lot of tooling cheap if i knew then what i know now i would have sure picked them up i didn't realize the deal i had in front of me

I had a similar issue with a 1919 SB 14" lathe....it had top oilers and I had removed the bearing caps so I knew they were at least good enough to run. I oiled her up and started the motor....then after a few seconds to minutes, it would seize. Turns out the threaded ring on the lefthand side that takes up the endplay was a little bit loose, and it would tighten itself down on the spindle enough to stop the whole machine. There *may* be some thrust bearings in that area to keep things tight enough to prevent slop, while still allowing rotation. Take a look in that region.

Scubasteve that was my thoughts exactly. The left hand collar appears to be the key for the proper running of those cone head lathes. Due to the taper at the right side, one needs to adjust the left collar to be not too tight and the right hand collar will limit how far the spindle moves to the left. The further to the left that the spindle moves the tighter the fit and at some point it is too tight. Kind of like a morse taper where you can turn the insert but push in just a bit more and it stops turning, locked in place. I hope that makes sense.
Pierre

scubasteve&pdentrem

my buddie said the exact same thing about the cone and bearing hopefully it won't need to be tore apart if it does i will deal with it if it gets to that hopefully its an easy fix, I would like to order that book though thanks for your help.

Ted

Back