Hendey 14x30 Head bearing issue

Wow he did one sweet job on that machine ya never know i may do the same i need to get my tags back on my drill press i restored its a Johannson drill 8 speed gear head with a 6x18 x,y table no draw bar take 3# morse taper kwite a drill

I don't know if this will help but here's a link to a Hendey rebuild on another site:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/hendey-14-6-tie-bar-rehab-172446/

this is one long thread with a ton of information i need to go over it a little more i am not sure i want to get into a restro project at this time with it or not i may end up selling it and look for a gearhead lathe we got it working better but it still wants to lock up in high gear it works fine in lower gears

I wonder if it is still just a bit tight, since it still locks up at high speed. More heat at the higher speeds, therefore more expansion, which reduces the available space for the oil to lube the bearings.
Be sure to adjust everything at a reasonable Tempurature, not cold but not hot either.
Pierre

pdentrem

i am not really sure i am gonna sign up on the other site from the link the other member posted where the guy restored the hendey and see if i can get the guys phone number and talk to him a little bit i need to figure out how to get the pressure off from the babbit ring, i need to figure out how to loosen it up

I agree, any help from a user like him will be a benefit for you and the lathe.
Pierre

pdentrem

i am not really sure i am gonna sign up on the other site from the link the other member posted where the guy restored the hendey and see if i can get the guys phone number and talk to him a little bit i need to figure out how to get the pressure off from the babbit ring, i need to figure out how to loosen it up

Look on ebay for a manual for your lathe they sell reprints there.

I have a Hendey14x6 cone drive that had the same seizing problem. It's going for parts and scrap. Pictures are on Boston Craigslist, search for Lathe Mansfield

Back