Hendey 14x30 Head bearing issue

i do have it oiled up pretty good, i don't think its a ball bearing my friend told me tonight it takes a spanner wrench on the brass collar for tightening like a crush sleeve he said he thinks its to tight the holes for the spanner wrench are smucked up on it looks like some one was messing a little with it i hope it don't take a whole lot to get it going right everything works on it, except the bearing is tighter now when i went to look at it the fiirst time it ran long enough to check out things a little bit this thing is heavier then heck.
my friend is coming over saturday hopefully i will be able to post some good news, sure wish i could find a manual some where

I used a nice big pipe wrench on mine

it's totally fixable, and somewhat easy. you have to remove the spindle, and shim the large thrust washer on the inside of the rightward main bearing.

search for 'Hendey spindle shim' and there's a thread out there detailing the fix. Common problem on these machines.

Hey, nice lathe by the way. Hendey did all the steps of manufacture at their plant, from the casting all the way to the final inspection. Pretty cool. Top of the line lathe until the 1950's when they could no longer compete with import machines. Contact Hendeyman on PM with the serial #, and he'll tell you the month/year it was built and who it was originally sold to.

FYI, that gearbox is the first commercially successful quick change gearbox, invented by Norton in 1895. I have a 12x5, just needs to be restored. Someday i guess. :)

*disclaimer* sorry, i didnt' realize this thread was resurrected from 2013, but i'll keep my post intact anyway.

Back