Hercus 260

I hope it goes for less than $900 as I can get a SB 10K long bed for $1000 delivered to my door.
Admittedly I think this as a bit better machine, larger bore on this one.
Both school machines ironically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a larger spindle bore is worth more than $100.00. That lathe looks nice in the photo. Any chance you can go
look at it?

Having a larger spindle bore is worth more than $100.00. That lathe looks nice in the photo. Any chance you can go
look at it?

Possibly but it’s a six hour round trip

Dave, I assume you saw the Lathes.UK page on this lathe. It looks to be a Hercus 260 ATM. One option that caught my eye was that it could be had with a D1-4 camlock spindle. The one in your pics doesn't look like it, though.

Looks like a 4 jaw chuck and some faceplates underneath the lathe. The drill chuck looks like a Rohm keyless chuck.
How are you able to tell if it has a camlock spindle?
(trying to educate myself...)

Edit: I think I answered my own question. The camlock spindle looks completely different. :)

if you can own the hercus 260, i would RUN, not walk, to get it !!!
they are well made lathes
i own a 1976 Hercus ARH (9x20) and wouldn't trade it for anything

if you can own the hercus 260, i would RUN, not walk, to get it !!!
they are well made lathes
i own a 1976 Hercus ARH (9x20) and wouldn't trade it for anything

I’m high bidder at the moment. Auction ends Dec 11 @ 1700 hrs PDT.
Fingers crossed

Possibly but it’s a six hour round trip

6 hours? I drive that far to dig through the metal scrap bin at the metal dealer I have found with reasonable prices. I buy what I need right now from the stock on hand and pick up stuff for the meager stockpile in the shop for future use from the cutoff bin that is going to the scrapper.

I drove 5 hours to look at a lathe. Then 5 hours back with it. I had probably spent 20 hours on the road to that point looking for a lathe and a mill.

Point is, don't settle for something that won't do what you imagine you will be doing with it in 5 years just because it is available now.

Having said that, I would go higher than $1,000 on it if it isn't worn out. I mean $1,600 wouldn't be out of the question being that they are Canadian dollars and not the real thing.

Last edited:
How are you able to tell if it has a camlock spindle?
(trying to educate myself...)

Edit: I think I answered my own question. The camlock spindle looks completely different. :)

A camlock spindle has holes for cams that are in the back of the chuck. There are hex holes on the rim of the spindle that turn almost identical cams in the spindle body and those cams interlock with the cams on the chuck. There is a male taper or register on the nose of the spindle to match a similar female taper in back of the chuck. These tapers are a precise fit and allows a chuck to mount accurately. The cams only hold the chuck on.

10640.jpg

A camlock spindle has holes for cams that are in the back of the chuck. There are hex holes on the rim of the spindle that turn almost identical cams in the spindle body and those cams interlock with the cams on the chuck. There is a male taper or register on the nose of the spindle to match a similar female taper in back of the chuck. These tapers are a precise fit and allows a chuck to mount accurately. The cams only hold the chuck on.

View attachment 307560
Chucks for those must be a pretty penny!

6 hours? I drive that far to dig through the metal scrap bin at the metal dealer I have found with reasonable prices. I buy what I need right now from the stock on hand and pick up stuff for the meager stockpile in the shop for future use from the cutoff bin that is going to the scrapper.

I drove 5 hours to look at a lathe. Then 5 hours back with it. I had probably spent 20 hours on the road to that point looking for a lathe and a mill.

Point is, don't settle for something that won't do what you imagine you will be doing with it in 5 years just because it is available now.

Having said that, I would go higher than $1,000 on it if it isn't worn out. I mean $1,600 wouldn't be out of the question being that they are Canadian dollars and not the real thing.
I hear what you are saying.

I'm likely going to pass on a lathe within 2 hrs drive because it's not exactly what I'm looking for.
I'm passing on a cream-puff 10" Atlas that is 15 minutes from my house because it doesn't have a QCGB.

My challenge is time. I'm a full-time professional, do 50-60 hrs week, I have a young family, one is special needs. So time is a very precious commodity.
But I totally hear and appreciate what you are saying.

Back