Heres my new lathe

Heres some stuff Ill be using the lathe for. First is clutch preasure plates. I have a guy in NC that dose them for me for 30 bucks that includes shipping. So if I do 2 sets, the lathe has paid for its self, I have 4 sets to do.
ATLAS LATHE 033.jpg

Also have these to do. They are the cam follower in the steering box. My friends are welding them up and cutting them back down. Ive saved a few to try. They just unscrew out of the plate.
ATLAS LATHE 029.jpg

And heres some steering rods I use to make some small pins out of with my porta band and a grinder. Now if I can learn the lathe I can make them look like stock.
ATLAS LATHE 030.jpg

Now at the last auction I was at there was a south bend i was trying to get. I picked this thing up. Just a home made sander, maybe to dress the cutting tools?
ATLAS LATHE 017.jpg

Like I said I hope to get rid of some stuff ~ junk to make room!

ATLAS LATHE 033.jpg ATLAS LATHE 029.jpg ATLAS LATHE 030.jpg ATLAS LATHE 017.jpg

Vince,

What is the diameter of the pressure plate?

On the motor shaft question, yes. You shouldn't try to use a keyed pulley on a flatted shaft. Assuming that the set screw hole in the pulley is tapped through the key slot as it should be, without a key in the slot for it to bear against, the inner end of it is hanging out of the tapped hole quite a bit to get to the flat. It will get loose fairly quickly. For a temporary fix, you can drill and tap a new set screw hole 180 degrees around from the existing one. A screw in that hole will stay tight longer. But you really ought to find a motor with a key slot in the shaft. And no, you don't need anything larger than 1/3 HP on a 6".

Robert D.

Robert

They are like 6 or 7 inches. I put one in the lathe, on the back side theres a shoulder to grab, and moved the cross feed across the diamiter and I have pleanty of travel to face it.

Vince,

OK. Judging the pressure plate diameter from your hands I thought that it might be close. I don't know what the absolute max swing of a MK-II is but it will only be a fraction over 6". With the 12" Commercial it's 12-1/4". And at that diameter, you can realistically only do facing work.

Robert D.

Well had a great day today. A friend came over who knows about working with a lathe and really tought me alot! He said the unit seems real nice and tight. Oh Im so looking forward to this! We talked about where to build the bench or table to put it on.

Oh and he took an eng off my hands / feet! :thumbsup:

That belt sander is great for dressing up tool bits for the lathe

Hey guys Im having a hard time finding a belt for my lathe. Dose anyone have a online sorce for the belt or a size I can try to find one here local.

TIA

Well tore out the table from the other shop and mounted it to the wall. I have the lathe just sitting on the table havent bolted it down. Any recomadation before I bolt it down?

ATLAS LATHE 001.jpg ATLAS LATHE 003.jpg

Are you needing a drive belt for the lathe? I suggest using Power Twist belts by Fenner. It reduces vibrations and is adjustable in adding or removing links.

Level the lathe per the manual. For that you need a precision level, not a carpenter's one.

Robert D/

Back