HF 4x6 bandsaw - buyers beware

Sharon,

The HF bandsaw can perform well with a bit of TLC which it definitely will require. Mine took a whole weekend's worth. This included disassembly, refitting (like you see with yours, etc).

Mine had a very serious problem too. Within an hour or so after getting her up and running she stopped dead. It seemed like the motor was seized. What was really the case was that they reversed the output gearbox seal and bearing spacer (yep, the seal was in between the bearings - duhhhh). This allowed the worm gear to jam. It took a few hours to get it all apart and fixed. I could have simply returned it for another saw, but after I had put so much time making it right I couldn't bear the thought of a new round of issues to fix.

John

So after considering a stationary yet small bandsaw and not being impressed with a used model on CL I decided to just get a new one. since they are all the same (or so one would think) I decided to go with the least expensive alternative - HF. to be fair, I wasn't excited about this, but given that I knew the risk, I chose to take it for the savings factor.

so picked up this bs at a local store, drove it home and managed to get it into the basement and all assembled. the user manual is pure crap - no way around it. I had to use grizzly's manual to be able to put this one together as the HF manual is clearly of a different model as the instructions call for threaded holes in the casting where there are clearly not, and also does not include any references to some of the parts (like the angled corner support brackets for the base).

Using the grizzly manual I put this thing together. I like the grizzly manuals - very clear and informative. wish I could get the grizzly white version of this saw but it's 2x the cost (and for good reasons I guess). the base is actually surprisingly stable - up until you add the wheels - thats when it loses the stability all together, but still is decent for most small cuts.

the motor started fine, no rubbing of the pulleys against the cover, and while feed spring has a "TING" moment as you lower the saw for a cut to it, all seemed well - or so I thought.

While trying to adjust the blade guide I discovered that the blade guide won't pull out as it should (floor model at the store pulled out smoothly). a bit more force and with some resistance, it eventually came out revealing this:
View attachment 39495View attachment 39496
it looks like it was even ground at the factory to make it 'fit' (which it still doesn't really) as the grinding marks are perpendicular to the pull direction of the part (in which case if it was "scratched" from pulling it according to it's normal operation, the scratch marks would be length wise and not width wise).

the bolt seems to be off center as well, which might suggest that this part was simply not made right:
View attachment 39497

this thing will NOT go in and out freely, and I do not like the idea of having a faulty part on a brand new machine, regardless of who's the supplier. really bums me to have to repack this, drive it to the store and have it replaced, rinse- and repeat the whole process. might have to open the next one at the store to make sure it's ok, but I can't really inspect it all at the store... ugh... buyers beware - Quality Control is definitely low here.

Last edited:
Dude, I feel terrible about extolling the virtues of the HF saw, but I guess I got lucky because I have never had any real issues with HF stuff. I'm sorry to hear that it was such a circle jerk, but there CS should square you up pretty easilly too. Let us know if that turns into a debacle too. The new one will probably b nearly perfect when you get it, no consolation, but thats how it usually goes with HF stuff. Sorry man.
Bob

Thank you for the replies - nice to know that I'm not the only one experiencing issues with this saw (although I'm sorry you have had your share of it too). I agree that it would be best to tackle the problematic parts as opposed to repacking this one as I've discovered it after I cleaned it all up including taking apart the gear box for a complete cleaning operation (remove oil, clean all the debris that was in there and would be transferred with the oil to the gears, re-oil and seal again)... I left a voice message to CS to call me back (not sure if it was because it was after hours, or if this is the new game they are running) and will try to get the replacement part to begin with. just hope that it doesn't take too long only to discover that there are other things as well that needs replacement.

Thanks again. I'll keep updating this as thing progress.

I inherited my dads. Gear was out. I ordered a new one and repaired. Aligned it and works fine.
I just ordered a new motor start capacitor. I need to get some "gear lube" for it as I put 10w40 in it.:rofl:

................ I need to get some "gear lube" for it as I put 10w40 in it.:rofl:

It's hard to know what to use.

Grizzly says:
Remove the cover on the gearbox and coat the gears with multi-purpose gear grease.

HF says:
Remove the old oil from inside the Gear Box and replace the oil using 140 weight gear oil.

:thinking:

M

so I actually got a reply to my email sent 2 days ago stating that HF does no longer have part #112 (blade guide bracket) available as it is discontinued. they suggested I take the saw back to the store for refund/replacement. bummers... I guess I will have to repack it after all.

Just thought you guys should know that apparently they are discontinuing replacement parts on this model.

so I actually got a reply to my email sent 2 days ago stating that HF does no longer have part #112 (blade guide bracket) available as it is discontinued. they suggested I take the saw back to the store for refund/replacement. bummers... I guess I will have to repack it after all.

Just thought you guys should know that apparently they are discontinuing replacement parts on this model.

That's not good, and a little strange too, as the 4x6 bandsaw must be one of their most popular sellers as well as for most of their competing companies.

I wonder if the factory that churns these out for all the different suppliers is about to change the design?

M

I have the same HF saw, and the same problems. It will take some work to get it cutting true but you will love it when you get everything sorted out. One thing I have learned is get a good bi-metal blade it will cut anything and last a long time. Oh and change the gear lube I used 90W

That's not good, and a little strange too, as the 4x6 bandsaw must be one of their most popular sellers as well as for most of their competing companies.

I wonder if the factory that churns these out for all the different suppliers is about to change the design?

M

no it isnt good long term, and the first thought that came to mind is that they are changing the design- but you would think that they would still stock up on replacement parts before revamping the factory for a completely different line of machines which makes me think they stopped making those a WHILE ago... either way. not very good news. I hope it's just HF though. makes me wonder if I should replace, or ask for a refund all together.

I have the same HF saw, and the same problems. It will take some work to get it cutting true but you will love it when you get everything sorted out. One thing I have learned is get a good bi-metal blade it will cut anything and last a long time. Oh and change the gear lube I used 90W

Thanks. I replaced the gear lube as well. and have the same 90W gear oil (actually got that oil when I have my 9x20 lathe, and after replacing it didn't know what else to do with that oil until now). so your blade guides are all bruised up and won't slide smoothly in and out?

Back