[How-To] Hibiscus Flower Tea

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I made a huge batch of hibiscus flower tea today, for the health benefits as well as the wonderful taste!

Warning: Some medications are affected by compounds found in hibiscus flowers (ask a doctor if you are unsure about consumption of hibiscus)

the hibiscus tea has been consumed in many forms for thousands of years, the flowers have been dried and eaten fresh as well.
the plant is a gift!

here's how i made my batch today.....

In a stockpot, i added 1Gallon+1Quart (about 5L for the metric folk) water
2 cups (250ml) of Dried Hibiscus Flower
2 Blood Oranges , Sliced 1/4" (6mm)
1Cup (125ml) Cane Sugar ( i like Sugar In The Raw -brand)
1/4 Cup (60ml) Black Tea - tea bags work too- green teas are great also!

I set the flame to high on my gas stove and let the mixture come to low boil- about 15minutes
turn off the flame and put a lid on the stockpot
let steep for 5 to 10 minutes
i pour the contents through a colander first, then a sifting screen
some folks like it iced, but it can be consumed warm!
(today, i put a ladle right in the stockpot and had a cup straight out :drool: )

i hope you enjoy this if you try it
Cheers!!!

mostly an antioxidant
but it lowers blood pressure and effects how our bodies break down cholesterol, from what i have read

Interesting. I don't have blood pressure or cholesterol issues but might be something nice to try out sometime.

I love hibiscus tea. We have several hibiscus plants but never got around to saving the flowers. Guess you need a ton of them to end up with anything dried. I also have gotten rid as much of sugar as possible and have gone to stevia. But you have to go to health food stores to find the real stuff called SweetLeaf. No sugar but sweet taste. The other stuff that says stevia contains some dextrose and other no bueno junk.

I‘ll have to start saving me some flowers, thanks Doc!

I love hibiscus tea. We have several hibiscus plants but never got around to saving the flowers. Guess you need a ton of them to end up with anything dried. I also have gotten rid as much of sugar as possible and have gone to stevia. But you have to go to health food stores to find the real stuff called SweetLeaf. No sugar but sweet taste. The other stuff that says stevia contains some dextrose and other no bueno junk.

I‘ll have to start saving me some flowers, thanks Doc!
i'm not sure how many flowers are in a cup, but i'm sure it wouldn't take too long to gather enough!

i'm not sure how many flowers are in a cup, but i'm sure it wouldn't take too long to gather enough!
So that’s not packed down? I’m sure Mikey could go out his back door and have a truck load of hibiscus flowers in about 30 seconds. I was trying to remember what a guy used to bring to work. I think it was hibiscus and ginger? Or pepper? Something a little spicy. I could literally drink a gallon of that on a hot day. I drink a form of ginger tea made with ginger juice, stevia and 95% water. It quenches thirst and there is nothing better for the digestive tract. A slug of that ginger juice if you have indigestion will get rid of it in minutes. So drinking it diluted is really good for me.

Mine is black tea, fresh grated ginger and a kumquat. Also use lemon grass now and again (NO SUGAR OR SWEETENERS :laughing: ).
Never tried hibiscus but we have a lot growing in the garden.
Theres something special just picking your fresh produce and using it straight away.

Back