[How-To] Hibiscus Flower Tea

Hibiscus flower is found in many off the shelf herbal teas, used both for its color and its acidity. Many plant pigments have anti-oxidant properties so it's all good! Most of the herbal teas we buy seem to have hibiscus in them.

I love hibiscus tea. We have several hibiscus plants but never got around to saving the flowers. Guess you need a ton of them to end up with anything dried. I also have gotten rid as much of sugar as possible and have gone to stevia. But you have to go to health food stores to find the real stuff called SweetLeaf. No sugar but sweet taste. The other stuff that says stevia contains some dextrose and other no bueno junk.

I‘ll have to start saving me some flowers, thanks Doc!
We switched to monkfruit as a sugar substitute. My favorite thing my wife makes now is Peanut Butter cookies with monkfruit as the sweetener. Almond Flour, Peanut Butter, Monkfruit and Vanilla Extract. I have more than one at a time.

I drink (could) coffee and tea sweetened or unsweetened but a few years ago just switched to unsweetened. Black coffee works for me, the annual sugar intake dropped by the pounds.

Hibiscus has both edible and no edible species make sure of what flower your picking.

We switched to monkfruit as a sugar substitute. My favorite thing my wife makes now is Peanut Butter cookies with monkfruit as the sweetener. Almond Flour, Peanut Butter, Monkfruit and Vanilla Extract. I have more than one at a time.
I’d never heard of monkfruit so I looked into it. And it seems like its like stevia where there’s a range of faux stuff that hooks you with one thing and it’s a come on. What monkfruit product do you use? It’s crazy there stuff out there that’s 100x’s sweeter than sugar with no glycemic side effects. And hopefully none of the inflammation sugar causes. They don’t seem to have any studies, who knows what that means.

I‘ve been trying to recreate these cookies they used to have in outdoors stores in the backpacking food area. Very dense and little sugar or flour. So oatmeal(oats & steel cut oats) cinnamon, almond butter, walnuts, crasins, honey and chocolate Premier protein drink as the binder.

I’d never heard of monkfruit so I looked into it. And it seems like its like stevia where there’s a range of faux stuff that hooks you with one thing and it’s a come on. What monkfruit product do you use? It’s crazy there stuff out there that’s 100x’s sweeter than sugar with no glycemic side effects. And hopefully none of the inflammation sugar causes. They don’t seem to have any studies, who knows what that means.

I‘ve been trying to recreate these cookies they used to have in outdoors stores in the backpacking food area. Very dense and little sugar or flour. So oatmeal(oats & steel cut oats) cinnamon, almond butter, walnuts, crasins, honey and chocolate Premier protein drink as the binder.
Monkfruit In The Raw.

Speaking of blood pressure, my doc put me on a second medication for high blood pressure. All of it made me feel terrible. I could feel my heart beating. It did not lower my blood pressure.
I quit taking all of it a week ago.
124-70 this morning. 50 pulse. =no meds!
I like the tea idea.

Attachments

• B p.jpg
    B p.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1
I've tried all the sweeteners and detest them for the after taste they leave and the lingering cravings for sweet foods so I cut sugar from most food I eat.
This has reduced the sweet cravings but was difficult at the beginning.
Being type 2 I also removed most of the other carbs from my diet, this lowered my blood sugar considerably and reduced my blood pressure.
Weight loss is an added bonus but not why I did this.

Back