[How-To] Hitting a measurement

Hey @mikey can you give a link to this thread or the name so I can find it?
Here ye be!

Great subject!
I am having the same issue's.
Thanks for the concise explanatation on the tip geometry and how it affects the cut. mikey
Certainly steers me in the right direction, I was wondering why it cuts great in deep cuts, but makes ugly skim passes.
Causing me to go too far and miss by that much.

Thanks David...it actually was easy to find and I'm about halfway through it, though I'll need to read it twice. Curious how everyone keeps up on their (inserts particularly ) nose radius'. How would you measure them once you mount them and lose track of what you're using?

I have had the same problem. Get close, take one last cut and I was always under my target diameter. About a month or so ago I watched a video on how to hit your target dimension. Don't remember who made the video. I call it the two cut method. Since I have started doing this I have been spot on to maybe .0005 over size. Never under. Here it is. Turn the work to within .010 plus/minus of your target. Divide the overage by two and take two more equal cuts. For example if you were over by .012 you would take two .006 cuts. Been working for me.
Who? Was it Stephan?

+1 on the inserts for Aluminum; in the hone shop they work just fine on steel and avoid a lot of the traditional carbide woes (intentionally rounded edge for toughness being #1).

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It wasn't Stefan. I have not seen the video that David posted before.

Great subject!
I am having the same issue's.
Thanks for the concise explanatation on the tip geometry and how it affects the cut. mikey
Certainly steers me in the right direction, I was wondering why it cuts great in deep cuts, but makes ugly skim passes.
Causing me to go too far and miss by that much.

Yup, you're welcome. Hope that helps make things work better for you.

I remember a guy who told me that he just roughs until he was 0.020" away from final size and dialed in a 0.010" cut and hit his size every time. He didn't know why it worked; just that it did. The stuff we're discussing here is why.

Curious how everyone keeps up on their (inserts particularly ) nose radius'. How would you measure them once you mount them and lose track of what you're using?

I suggest you keep the box the inserts came in. Short of that, write it down some place.

When I started with inserts, I made a record on my computer that listed the tool holder, the insert designation, size of the nose radius, roughing and finishing depths of cut that were proven to work, materials the cuts work with and anything else that needed documenting. Yeah, this sounds overly anal but until I had all of this info committed to memory having this stuff saved my butt more than once. I can recall having to go look up what the minimal proven DOC was for a given insert so I could bring a precision bore in on size. It took some time for me to gain enough experience so these records are rarely needed anymore. In fact, I'm not really sure where they are come to think of it.

Nowadays, to be honest, I mostly use HSS tools on the lathe and am happy to leave this carbide business to you guys! ;)

Back