Hobart Meat Saw Pros/Cons

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Thoughts?
Has anyone ever done up one of these for shop use?
Just wondering, upcoming auction. I have no idea how they are mechanically.

1604615801585.png

I know that woodworkers sometimes use this type of saw because you can get a pretty serious saw for less cost than an similar sized wood saw.
They key would be if you can slow the blade speed.

Where U-Doc? He would absolutely know, he works on them things.....

Hobart 5614 Meat Saw:
2Hp 115v @28 amps/230v 14amps- Single Phase
98" Sawblade x 5/8" wide x .022 to .025" thick blade

They are reliable saws.
they are suitable size to break (split & quarter) sheep/goats and veal.
i have provided service and repair on them for more than 25 years.
most small meat shops and grocery stores have these saws working here in these parts.
they have Timken Tapered Roller Bearings on the upper and lower shaft assemblies
the repair parts are plentiful, but expensive unless you go aftermarket.

you could increase the size of the driven pulley, decrease the size of the drive pulley, or both to make the speed suitable for steel
the OEM speed is wonderful for woodworking, with a 3 or 4 TPI blade.
for metal i would suggest a 10TPI or 14TPI blade

Who wouldn't want a rinse-proof stainless steel band saw that you can break barnyard animals on if you get bored? I think you can build and design any modifications needed to be useful for the home shop. Just be sure to place it on a non-slip surface.

just about all the meat saws have a nylon filler block that flips out of the way for blade changes.
the nylon filler block melts easily
the nylon filler block can be made from another higher temperature material like tool steel and hardened
or just be made from a durable material and be considered consumable

Who wouldn't want a rinse-proof stainless steel band saw that you can break barnyard animals on if you get bored? I think you can build and design any modifications needed to be useful for the home shop. Just be sure to place it on a non-slip surface.
A former relative was a butcher at a grocery chain up in northern IL, the saw skidded along the floor while he was cutting beef, he lost two fingers and mangled the use of his hand.
There should come up some way of 'mounting' them to the floor.

Back