Hobart Meat Saw Pros/Cons

does that come under “natural and artificial flavorings added, on the ingredients label ??..........
let's hope the natural flavorings stay with the saw :eagerness:

in 14 states the saw may very well need to have flashing warning lights during use too !

lagging a saw down to the floor sounds like a good idea until you consider the inability to clean all parts of a portion control devise.
Some parts of the saw would never see antimicrobial agents let alone soap or water
I thought the same since I mopped kitchen floors back in the day, have to be able to clean it.
But I've always wondered - what about hitch pins that would just drop into a stainless steel hole insert in the tiled floor?

1604634572217.png

just about all the meat saws have a nylon filler block that flips out of the way for blade changes.
the nylon filler block melts easily
the nylon filler block can be made from another higher temperature material like tool steel and hardened
or just be made from a durable material and be considered consumable

My Startrite bandsaw uses Carbide blade guides. The saw was built in the mid 1980's and as far as I know still has the original guides. I did remove them when I first got the saw thinking they might need to be replaced. Parts were available through Clausing so I called them and got the original dimensions. At the time mine were still like new. I haven't checked them since then, but since the saw still cuts straight within a few thousandths I don't feel it's necessary

You might be able to find some raw material to fashion a set of guides. I did check the prices at McMaster, but it isn't cheap I tried posting a link to the products they have, but it just goes to a page of "blocks" with no mention of carbide. If you search "tungsten carbide blocks" at the top of any page it will go the the material

Last edited:
After getting the real way to setup a vertical bandsaw off a YouTube vid I would not hesitate to adapt Delrin or UHMW guide blocks to this saw. The fact of the matter is the blade isn’t supposed to be riding on the guides constantly and at the speed a metal cutting saw is supposed to run at, either of those plastics would last forever. But I also don’t use my bandsaws for cutting curves.

My 14” vertical bandsaw has its original metal with rubber insert feet with some wheels welded on the side to move it like a hand truck when needed and never moves around once put into position. Now if there was bodily fluids all over the floor that would be a different story, but I don’t have any intention of butchering on it.

Last edited:
The bandsaws are great for butchering but unless you are doing production type work on it the cleanup time will far exceed the time the blade is actually on meat. A friend had one in his unattached garage that we would cut deer up with when it was cold enough for them to freeze just hanging outside. If you didn't clean it and I mean really clean it well afterwards when things thawed out in the spring it would make a horrible smell.

Not to mention that if you didn't clean it the scraps on and in it would feed a small army of mice all winter long.

The bandsaws are great for butchering but unless you are doing production type work on it the cleanup time will far exceed the time the blade is actually on meat.
Oh, my, yes! My good friend has a similar saw, and a 220V, 2hp "Butcher Boy" grinder from the 60's.

I have borrowed them for years since I am too cheap to pay the local guy to cut my deer and elk.
I used the saw one time.
I use the grinder EVERY time, and do not lament the difference in value.

If you didn't clean it and I mean really clean it well afterwards when things thawed out in the spring it would make a horrible smell.
My boss’s wife used to do stuff like that, invariably on a Friday evening. She’d go down to the shop and use our chop saw to portion out frozen ribs and such but wouldn’t think to clean it. By the time I’d get back in on Monday morning the shop would stink to high heaven and I’d have to dig out all the rotten stuff from inside the blade chute. Greaaat.

-frank

I have a 12” craftsman vertical bandsaw designed for wood. I added a jack shaft and more pulleys to slow the speed down for metal cutting and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back