Hobby shop foot ware

Doc Martins. Chips don't cut into the sole. The leather is soft too. Been wearing these for over a year now.
Bought some new Doc martins last year , they lasted a week sticking fell apart, they are made in China now. :disturbed:
I grew up in doc’s

Those sketchers I bought are working out, but they do pick up a lot of chips. I even shot a 3gun match in them on Sunday.

Now that I am retired, I have no problems at all, because I am not on my feet all day, every day.
And this is some of the best news I've heard yet, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
depends what I am doing, if it is "light" work, like car repairs, woodwork etc, it is a pair of filthy trainers, if it is machining, fabrication or anything concerning equipment heavier than a light hammer, it's on with Lidls best steel toecap work boots, generally get about two years out of a pair, for a lot less than anywhere else. At the moment though I have a pair of dickies work boots, with a fairly high top that protect my ankles, but still fit inside my trousers, so that those evil little blobs of weld spatter dont go down the tops! They are also described as 100% waterproof, which is always a bonus in our great British climate!

I see you found a pair of boots, so may or may not help.

I always used a Redwing zipper boot as a station boot, so I don't have personal experience with this brand but I've heard good things about Redback slip on boots from firefighters who have used them as a station boot. Supposedly the closest thing to a steel toed slipper that you will find. Non-steel toe versions are also available if you prefer.

https://www.redbackboots.com/mens/redback-boots

Being a little on the short side, I wear these to get me up where I can see what's going on. Also excellent for protecting from hot swarf, and as we all know, one can never be too fashion conscious when working in the machine shop. :) Mike

ab5bb8d4004c7bffffe6ba490b8298d7--black-heel-boots-high-heel-boots.jpg

I bet those would be great for welding!

Update on those sketches I bought.
I have gotten zero chips or splinters in my shoes. As I said earlier, the soles do pick up a bit of swarf , but I can deal with that. They are comfortable and cushy, but I do still struggle if I spend a lot of time on my feet (not the shoes fault). So, I am glad that I bought them.

My $200 shoe allowance will be coming around on July 1st and you guys have given me a lot of great products to consider. Thanks, it is much appreciated!

I have also learned that the single biggest thing that I can do for my foot pain is to do my damm stretches every day.

John

I wear Birkenstock sandles all the time when I get home from work. When I start picking chips out of my toes I go change.
A week and a half ago I dropped a 3/4” end mill on my little toe. I was so concerned about damaging the $75 end mill, the initial pain was mitigated somewhat.
I have been limping ever since.
I am a bit more careful now when I turn on the mill or lathe.
I am very careful about cleaning up after I use chip makers. Those little buggers cause all kinds of problems, including an ass chewing from my bride of 35 years :)

You might want to look into the Dr. Scholls custom fit orthotic inserts. They provide excellent arch support which takes some of the pressure off the heel. The local Walmart (boo hiss) has the device that you stand on and it selects the correct insert for your foot. They are expensive but they solved my foot pain problem.

I wear work boots 9-10 hours a day standing on concrete. The first thing I do when I come home is take the boots off and get off of my feet for 1/2 hour to an hour. If you haven't guessed by now, I do have a lot of foot problems and am in need of a second surgery for plantar fasciitis.

After a short rest I usually have the urge to make some chips, so on goes my sneakers. I have my work space lined with comfort mats, which makes the hobby much more enjoyable for me.

I'm getting tired of pulling metal out of my feet from wearing sneakers. I need to come up with something else.

What do you guys wear in the hobby shop?

Shooty
I seen one do machine work with bare feet .
I myself use just good pair of shoes.
No steel toes as most hobby is light

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Back