Hold down bolt placement on full size mill table?

The biggest cause of broken T-slots as far as I've seen is homemade T-nuts that have not been staked to stop the studs or bolts extending through the bottom. Some serious Tonnage can be developed cranking down on a bolt.
I do have a few homemade nuts that need staking. I really should do it before something bad happens.

Always looking to learn,Can someone please describe staking? I do not want to take a chance breaking my table if I can prevent it.

Always looking to learn,Can someone please describe staking? I do not want to take a chance breaking my table if I can prevent it.
Like FOMOGO said ...
HPIM5761.JPG

The end T slots may be used for clamping but the REASON they are there was to ease the machining in of the table slots. A 10" rotary table with a likewise robust angle plate is an awful lot of cantilevered weight for the table gibs to handle on a daily basis. You will likely mount your vise off center to compensate for the rotary table's position, aggravating the off center loading. I'm thinking you are asking for unnecessary wear to both the X and Y axis ways and gibs................Bob

Last edited:
As others pointed out, I usually take a cold chisel and damage that last thread. Might take a couple tries, but as soon as a setup stud refuses to poke its head out the bottom end of the T-nut, you're done.

As always, this site is great knowledge sharing platform.
Thanks!

The end T slots may be used for clamping but the REASON they are there was to ease the machining in of the table slots. A 10" rotary table with a likewise robust angle plate is an awful lot of cantilevered weight for the table gibs to handle on a daily basis. You will likely mount your vise off center to compensate for the rotary table's position, aggravating the off center loading. I'm thinking you are asking for unnecessary wear to both the X and Y axis ways and gibs................Bob

I agree about the added load way out on the end. The biggest reason for mounting it there, at least initially, is to put the holes in the base in the correct position. If it fits there it can go anywhere on the table.
Thanks for all of the great input from everyone!

Back