Holt Engine (I hope)

Great thread and amazing work. Now following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bit of an update, finished the rad mount, sandblasted it to give the cast look and a quick way to remove machine marks. lol
IMG_2023-02-15_16-56-39.jpeg

IMG_2023-02-15_16-57-16.jpeg

Then moved on to the distributor.
Made the cap and rotor out of bakelite I had. Made a sort of core bit to form the lugs where the plug wires attach.

IMG_2023-02-21_16-39-45.jpeg

IMG_2023-02-21_16-39-58.jpeg

IMG_2023-02-24_20-35-02.jpeg

Thanks for looking

Greg

Coming along nicely! I've thought about making a new cap for mine with the wires coming out of the top.

Thanks
Haven't looked at the pictures of yours for a while George. Forgot that yours came out the side. Did you use bakelite ?, if so what did you finish it with to cover the exposed linen ?

Greg

Hi Greg,
I believe the material was called Tufnol. It was something that Coles Power Models sold at the time I was building mine. You could probably seal yours with something like shellac or quick drying spray paint.

Looks like the UK version of the same stuff. I was gifted a sheet 1 inch thick, about 3 foot square.
Was thinking shellac as well.

Greg

Had a couple of wet days so spent some time in the shop.
A set and 2 spares of plugs for the engine.
Used Corian for the insulators. Read it was difficult to machine? Had no trouble.
They're 1/4 - 32 thread.
IMG_2023-08-21_19-09-38.jpeg

Thanks for looking

Greg

Had a couple of wet days so spent some time in the shop.
A set and 2 spares of plugs for the engine.
Used Corian for the insulators. Read it was difficult to machine? Had no trouble.
They're 1/4 - 32 thread.
View attachment 457594

Thanks for looking

Greg
Came out nice, but I am not sure Coriann will hold up to the heat that the insulators get up to.
How did you make it with the side electrode? did you weld it on, or machine extra and then cut around it??

Thanks.
Apparently it's used in miniature plugs? Guess we'll find out, more worried about the JB Weld two part epoxy i used to fasten them to the base.
Made the base .15 extra long then machined away the sides to leave a prong which I bent over hot.

Greg

Back