Home made mini bike.

What have you got for cutting and welding?

An interesting proposition, to say the least. I don't have any usable advice but do have some thoughts about how I would approach the scenario if I were to do it myself. There are many non-technical factors to be considered, not the least of which is location. Be it urban, suburban, rural, etc. Another being potential customer base, age, gender, race, disposition, etc. On the aspect of construction, my personal disposition would become a major factor.

Bearings, for example. . . For myself, I would use a bearing common throughout the machine. Start with common trailer wheel bearings. They would be grossly oversized for a "mini" application. Adjustments would have to be made to allow such a large bearing to be used. When adapted to the frame, thay then become an "inexpensive" yet quite reliable component. By using the same bearing for wheels and steering, the parts overhead is reduced to an easily managable degree. There are other reasons for that particular part as well. Not the least the common availability of such a part.

Another factor to consider is power plants, engine(s). If I were to design such a device, I would choose a line of products of varying sizes, say 5HP, 12HP, and 25HP. All three having a consistant mounting technique. The mounting "attachments" appropiate to all three attached to all frames so they could be updated as desired. Both as new models as well as at customer request. When a larger engine is desired, it becomes a simple matter of unbolting one and bolting on another.

Some of the desired consistancy across models would raise the initial cost some small amount. However, long term it would allow for an "aftermarket" setup for "updating". Many mechanical devices consider the real profit to be in replacement and updated parts more so than the original cost. Specifically the automobile industry. . . And it would definately have an effect on inventory.

Such dreaming on my part should be taken with a grain shaker box of salt. It being purely speculative. And definately not advice.

for cutting i have a hacksaw but will convert a wood band saw to cut metal. for welding my pa has a big mig and my dad wants to get a tig.
I get believe me it’s hard to pick the most useful basic equipment when first starting. One of my first basics was a 4x6 horizontal bandsaw. For cutting long smaller stock and for cutting angles it’s necessary. I love my converted vertical wood bandsaw but for long stuff it’s not ideal.

I love seeing young people get enthusiastic about making and you never know where it will lead you. But IMHO trying to determine where it will go before you’ve taken the first step might not go where you envision. Henry Ford didn’t picture making auto dealerships when he was tinkering. Same with Robert Bosch. Learning the basics and making something you are enthusiastic about is the first step to doing what you love. If this is already what you were doing I apologize for stating the obvious.

I'm not sure what the 26 tooth sprocket is for, hopefully you are not considering them for direct drive on the rear wheel with a 12 tooth clutch. Typically you would want something like a 6:1 reduction so a 72T rear sprocket. Personally I think those wheels and tires designed for a slow speed hand truck will be a very big disappointment in short order.

I'm not sure what the 26 tooth sprocket is for, hopefully you are not considering them for direct drive on the rear wheel with a 12 tooth clutch. Typically you would want something like a 6:1 reduction so a 72T rear sprocket. Personally I think those wheels and tires designed for a slow speed hand truck will be a very big disappointment in short order.
i found a new sprocket like you said and a new drive wheel.Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 4.34.39 PM.png

All good but avoid reselling as liability is problem now.

For personal use fine bit s customer gets hurt and big trouble.

Possible ways to avoid but requires consideratio n and planning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back