Homebrew Layout Fluid Experiments

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The motivation is to find some cheap and cheerful reasonable substitute for Dykem and similar that just cannot be had in less well served places.
I do like Dykem, but a whiff of the organic solvents makes my chest wheeze up somewhat more readily than alcohols.
The varnish layer left from dried Dykem is some kind of cellulose. I chose to try out the "traditional" natural shellac varnish, as might be used in French polish.
The rest of what is in there can be any alcohol solvent. I avoid the shatteringly expensive "rectified alcohol", which is booze - if you dilute it.

Even gasoline petrol works, if you can stand the smell. I went for IPA. IsoPropyl Alcohol, the main ingredient of rubbing alcohol, or de-natured alcohol, or methylated spirits. IPA is clean, and does not smell awful. The colors dye was by raiding a red ball-point pen that I know I did not buy.
It got to look a bit "chemistry lab" around me. Be warned to use gloves, and take care not to let even the least smear of dye get loose. Even the attempt to clean it up then spreads to all you touch afterwards, and all your paper stuff starts going pink. The most fraught moment is when you get a grip on the metal ball-point tip with the little pliers. Try and ease it out with rotations, no sudden moves or jerks from direct pulls.

Layou Fluid Impromptu Lab.jpg _ Gel-Pen raid.jpg

First thing is, the shellac flakes do not dissolve in seconds. They settle into the bottom of the container, and need to be stirred up of shook regularly.
My 100g of blonde flakes cost about £6.50 . Left to itself, they might dissolve in about 8 hours, but you can massively speed things up if you crush them up. They splatter all over the place. One individual uses a small coffee grinder. Maybe a mortar & pestle would be good, but I settled for 2 batches of 500mg each, crushed up a bit between two spoons. Things went a whole lot better when I pounded them with the end of a 10mm drill bit while they were confined to a detergent bottle cap.
Warm it up a bit, and work it, and you can get it down to about half an hour. It's much easier to just leave it to itself for a while.

I had a little try with using aftermarket inkjet refill ink. The colours one can get are beautiful, but too thin and not concentrated enough. They are water-based, which does mix with the alcohol, but extends the drying time. Possibly if one drove off some of the water by cooking it a bit, the dye would concentrate, just like salt in chilli sauce.

shellac1a.jpg _ shellac3a.jpg

Drying Time
Dykem "Steel Red" takes 4 minutes & 20 seconds to just about dry. The shellac 500mg in about 6mL of IPA took very nearly the same. Within some few seconds.

Comparing..
What I show here is not the final mix. I was still making a mess. I learned not to mix gel-pen dye with traditional ball-point ink. It caused little tiny lumps to separate, and the fluid in it messed up the spreading effect so that as it dried, it seemed to have a "thicker" accumulation at the ink layer edge. The tiniest touch of a little detergent completely changes things, but it was how I decided I was seeing a surface tension effect. If one stays with the pure IPA and shellac, then it becomes hard to tell the difference between Dykem and the homebrew concoction. I first tried it on the flea-market V-block that is now promised some respite from rusting away.
This is where I compared the drying times. The durability to handling, and the way it wipes off with alcohol seem the same.

Layout Compare1.jpg _ Layout Compare2.jpg

I also tried it out on clean aluminium, and added some scribe lines. The amount of ink in a ball-point pen is surprisingly little. A 110mm plastic tube has inner diameter 1.5mm, and that would be 0.185mL, then take off some because the tube always has an empty bit at the end. It will have a few drops - maybe 4 or 5.
One tip is not to blow the ink out with air. Things go much better if you push it out with alcohol So one drop of ball-point pen ink stains up the fluid you see in the pictures, which by the time they were spread, had used about 15mL to 20mL of alcohol. I am sure one could use other dyes.

Layout Compare3.jpg _ Layout Compare4.jpg

The pictures are by no means the final try. They are of the work-in-progress failed messed up tries, but already, we obviously have a viable low cost and reasonable alternative. If one can get hold of some shellac, then as I said to @Suzuki4evr, the rest of it could be one abandoned ball-point and if lacking some IPA, then maybe a little gasoline stolen from the girlfriend's motor cycle. Hardware store methylated spirits or de-natured alcohol will do.

There can, of course, be refinements, but already, it's kinda working! :)

Last edited:
Great experiments, Graham! Since my shop is in an attached garage, I must be cautious on what solvents I use; especially since the gas water heater is in the corner. And Dykem does smell a bit (I use it sparingly). I also use "Sharpie" blue "magnum" permanent markers. I do not know what solvent they use, but the odor is not very strong. A few swipes on a work-piece is all it takes; it dries fast too. Though it is not as durable as Dykem. RIT dye added to alcohol + shellac might be a good option. Have not tried it though.

Graham said he tried inkjet printer ink....too thin and was water soluble; longer drying time.

What about inkjet printer ink?
The fourth picture is of the inkjet printer ink. It does work, because it does mix into alcohol, and you get great colours. The red is from one drop of magenta with one drop of yellow. Very strange how the yellow looks near orange in the bottle, but a drop on paper comes out yellow. This way of getting colours is subtractive, as with all paints, is the opposite way around to mixing colours of light.

The effect of the two drops in about 4mL of shellac solution is the colour is thin and more transparent. Adding enough drops to make it more intense is also adding enough water to make the drying time more like wet water. You can get faster drying times with more volatile solvents. It would work with lighter fluid, or ether, or any one of many quite nasty and intoxicating stuffs.

To some degree, the gel-pen ink, if not simply augmented with traditional ball pen ink, is also a candidate, but I found it could sort of separate and leave a "grainy" looking surface. One drop of traditional ball-point ink, red, actually comes out looking nearly black, but as it hits the alcohol, it is full-on concentrated red.

Injet printer ink should be available the world over, but of course, if taken from inkjet printer cartridges, means you are paying for the weight of ink more than the actual price of gold! Inkjet printers are software driven to waste ink into a sponge at every start-up, and using refill bottles like those in the picture is discouraged. My HP complains the cartridge is not kosher, but I ignore it, and I refill the cartrige from my eBay bottles.

If you are in a place like (say) Springbok South Africa, or Swakopmund (Namibia), or Lusaka (Zambia), eBay ink is not there for you, but ball-point pens definitely are!

Great experiments, Graham! Since my shop is in an attached garage, I must be cautious on what solvents I use; especially since the gas water heater is in the corner. And Dykem does smell a bit (I use it sparingly). I also use "Sharpie" blue "magnum" permanent markers. I do not know what solvent they use, but the odor is not very strong. A few swipes on a work-piece is all it takes; it dries fast too. Though it is not as durable as Dykem. RIT dye added to alcohol + shellac might be a good option. Have not tried it though.
Sorry - I am just a bit lost on some things, so do tell what is "RIT" dye.
Regarding the substances, I think shellac is harmless. IPA is not (harmless), but I do happen to be the guy who tried drinking it for real! [Ref: 1]

Dykem has the following..
Ethanol (64-17-5) That is like the active ingredient in Jim Bean. We know what it does!

Butyl Acetate (123-86-4) It's a high boiling point nail polish solvent, also found in fruit, candy, ice cream, etc.

Butanol (71-36-3) Like IPA with an extra carbon, it's biofuel for cars, paint thinner and used in brake fluid.
Highly alcoholic aroma for perfumes, is also a nervous system depressant.

Nitrocellulose (9004-70-0) Highly flammable explosive gun cotton, it is the cellulose film lacquer deposited from the solvents.

Isopropanol (67-63-0) IPA - the three carbon alcohol :) I use it too!

Propyl acetate (109-60-4) Another ester solvent with a sweet smell used in flavours - probably not harmful in small amounts.

I don't know what the code numbers in brackets mean. Maybe one of our experts in chemistry can tell us. Even I dozed off in chem lectures, I don't think they mentioned these.

[1] Food and drink in the work area! (IPA + ethanol + methanol)!

Last edited:
That three-number code is called the CAS number. It is only an identification number assigned by the Chemical Abstract Service, a division of the American Chemical Society. A good analogy is to think of it like an IEEE number for any of your engineering standards.

Maybe all one needs to to is use the Sharpie, or one of those wide-bit markers, then give it a very light "one-pass" spray of clear lacquer from a can you find among the rattle-can paint sprays on automotive section stands. Oddly, the "clear" lacquer never seems to have a "rattle thingy". The idea is just to give the Sharpie layer a thin covering support so it does not immediately rub off on your hands and clothes, or disappear under coolant.

Getting the layer off afterwards might not be as easy as a wipe with IPA, but it might yield to WD40. It's worth a try!

Back