Homemade arbors....FUN FUN FUN

Why do you say it is machining desert, I don't understand?
Because that is what I have come to understand from posts by many machinists in southern Africa who seem to have immense troubles finding tooling that is easy to find at reasonable cost in other parts of the world. I also took it that you made them because they were rare and expensive there. If I am wrong, please correct me. I have no real idea about machining in southern Africa, just parroting what people there seem to think of the situation that they live with in their posts.

I understand what you mean now. In my opinion I would say availability is the big problem but yes expensive, definitely. That is one of the main reasons I try to make my own tooling. And I really enjoy making it and it is very satisfactory. When I browse on eBay and see what tooling cost in the US it is always inviting till I see the shipping cost wich is ridiculous. You guys are really lucky in that sense.

I understand what you mean now. In my opinion I would say availability is the big problem but yes expensive, definitely. That is one of the main reasons I try to make my own tooling. And I really enjoy making it and it is very satisfactory. When I browse on eBay and see what tooling cost in the US it is always inviting till I see the shipping cost wich is ridiculous. You guys are really lucky in that sense.
Have you ever ordered from e bay.? I thought they dont deliver to S A?Nice work .And yes we live in a machining desert.

All the time. Just mostly where free shipping apply. They deliver to the post office and you pay a small postage fee.

Beautiful work. Can you provide any specs/details on how you made them?

Regards,
Terry

There is not much to tell. I used 4140 for the arbors. The arbors are ISO30. It is for a B18 drill chuck,face mill and ER40 collet chuck. I think you can find the specs of these in a machinist handbook or internet. I got it in my book. Hope it helps

Reactions: tjb
Terry you can also just copy the arbors on the mill side you have like R8 or Iso40 and the other end is whatever you want to attach.

Reactions: tjb
Because that is what I have come to understand from posts by many machinists in southern Africa who seem to have immense troubles finding tooling that is easy to find at reasonable cost in other parts of the world. I also took it that you made them because they were rare and expensive there. If I am wrong, please correct me. I have no real idea about machining in southern Africa, just parroting what people there seem to think of the situation that they live with in their posts.
I must add that availability also depends on where about you live in SA. If you live near a big city you should be able to get tools fairly easily, but again price is the problem

Back