Homemade live center

I have a few that I made years back , couple bearings mounted in a sleeve with the center lightly pressed in . I tapped 1/2"-20 threads in the back of them for different style shanks .

Ray C also has a very pro write up on the bull nose he made here a few years back.

Here's one of the many tiny one's with 1/2"-20 threads . Just made them up for different applications . You never know what engineers dream up , and you had to ready .

Attachments

• IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 79
For $12 why bother, I've had this for years, works great plus it can be used as a bullnose
Actually I already have a live center so I don't really need another. But it has always been a lot of fun for me to make things that I don't really need at three times the cost and almost as good as a bought one.

Last edited:
I dreaded the thought of an MT2 taper slipping .............until now.

This is a live center made up from an MT3/MT2 sleeve, a homemade MT2 center, a 3/8ths ball bearing and a couple of screws
The set screw in the MT3 tang and a ball bearing act as a stop to prevent the MT2 taper from binding, but just barely.

The screw in the end of the MT2 center is to provide a hard cupped socket for the ball bearing to ride in.

The tang set screw has a 5/16 NF thread that allows for adjustment of the clearance in the MT2 taper. During preliminary trials I was able to get down to .0005'' clearance and still have the center rotate easily in the sleeve. The MT2 taper was lubed with Rotella 15w40 diesel oil.The MT2 center used for the trials is a low friction ball center but it spun very well so I can only think that the Rotella was a good choice.

These results are much better than those for the live center that came with my lathe which is much more bulky and has over .003'' of slop.

I plan to make up another MT2 center with a 60deg point instead of a ball and provide for some means of lubrication on the run.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    837.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0650.JPG
    IMG_0650.JPG
    681.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    459.2 KB · Views: 69
Here is one that I made some time ago for doing miniature work. The bearings were salvaged from a computer hard drive. It has a 1/4" straight shank for mounting in a 1/4 Albrecht chuck. The chuck is adjustable similar to the Set Tru chucks for centering.
Live Center .JPG

Actually I already have a live center so I don't really need another. But it has always been a lot of fun for me to make things that I don't really need at three times the cost and almost as good as a bought one.

That's why we're all here , isn't it ? :big grin:

Emergency live center.........

This is a trial that was just completed with success.
Using a Weldon end mill holder and a broken four flute end mill it was fairly easy to rig an internal stop and allow the end mill to spin in the holder.
With the set screw removed from the holder and the holder installed with the hole facing up, some 0w20 synthetic engine oil was added in the hole.

Hopefully the photos are self explanatory. There is absolutely no precision required in making up the other parts. Clearances between the end mill and holder are minimal as is and once the oil fills the void there is no play. My 3/8 shank end mill was broken off near the root. The shoulder at the root is perfect at 60 deg.

Attachments

• IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    436.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    746.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Used the end mill live center again today. The job was to slim down the shoulder on an MT2 center.
This was the set up.
IMG_0655.JPG

The tip of the MT2 center was driven by friction from a 1/2 steel rod held in a collet and a relatively deep center divot drilled in it.
To ensure that enough friction was available the tailstock hand wheel was preloaded with a weighted lever. This kept some pressure on both centres.
IMG_0654.JPG
At 330 rpm and a .005'' depth of cut it produced nice long curly chips with a bit of smoking from the cutting fluid. The resultant finish is very acceptable even though feed was manual.
IMG_0657.JPG

The live center performed flawlessly. After the hole in the end mill holder was filled with oil a plastic sleeve was installed to keep chips out of it.
The center has very low drag and can take significant thrust. After around 20 minutes of turning there was still oil in the hole and there was no heat build up. It seems like this live center could be used all day with no problems.

Another significant discovery was that it is possible to drive work between centres without using a dog. In this case the contact surfaces at the headstock end were completely clean and dry, with a means of providing some constant pressure on the center.

Just wanted to share this with you. I am so tickled by how this live center works that I rate it totally awesome. :)

Back