Homemade T-Nuts

Well done.
Thanks for sharing your build!
-brino

It is typical to find “T” nuts with through treaded holes. And on the bottom side of the nut, the last couple of threads are pinched. This prevents whatever is threaded into the T nut to go all the way through and jam into the valley of the T slot.

Those look great!
What cold blue process did you use?
-brino

Those look great!
What cold blue process did you use?
-brino
Thanks! Cleaned with acetone and isopropyl alcohol, once into Brownell's Oxphoblue. Scuffed with green scotch Brite which lightened them up quite a bit. Rinsed im alcohol and into the cold blue again. Then rinsed in water in a collander dedicated to the shop. Air dried and brushed on a bit of oil. I didn't scuff or buff them after the 2nd cold bluing, so not sure how quickly they will lighten with use and wear.

Edit: i also made a mistake in not getting the tapping oil out of the threaded holes as well as i thought i did. Unfortunately the next morning i woke to find the threads rusty. Apparently they didn't blue as well as i thought. I'll try to clean them and apply some more cold blue.

Blueing does not slow rust down at all. If you did not get the threads oiled after blueing, yes they would rust very quickly. Brushing the oil on you may not have oiled the threads.

I tap all the way through and stake the bottom. Studs can't go all the way through but are nice and free all the way to the bottom.
How do you stake the T-nut? I know the reason its done, just not sure how its accomplished.

How do you stake the T-nut? I know the reason its done, just not sure how its accomplished.
Find an appropriately size ball bearing , place in the bottom of the thread , smack the crap out of it with a good size fine adjustment tool ! :big grin: This will deform the last few threads and stud will not pass thru .

Find an appropriately size ball bearing , place in the bottom of the thread , smack the crap out of it with a good size fine adjustment tool ! :big grin: This will deform the last few threads and stud will not pass thru .
And if the threads are oversized and fit too loose, just cross-thread them.

Back