Horizontal/vertical spin indexer question

I was looking at that too, but I really didn't know what it does and also don't have any 5C collets. I mean I know it indexes, but don't know how it is different from a spin indexer or dividing head.

If you figure out let me know. :)
Aaron,
There are a bunch of spin indexer videos on you tube.
These horizontal/vertical rascals can be pretty handy.
I have a horizontal spin indexer I’d like to modify to use with the surface grinder for small od grinding.

Aaron,
There are a bunch of spin indexer videos on you tube.
These horizontal/vertical rascals can be pretty handy.
I have a horizontal spin indexer I’d like to modify to use with the surface grinder for small od grinding.

30 seconds into the first video solved my confusion. The indexing ring is inside the body. I've only seen pictures of these so wasn't sure how they indexed since the indexing ring isn't in your face like the horizontal type or with a dividing head.

After seeing Stephan's unit, I think I will remove the pin and move on to tearing it down, cleaning it, oiling it and checking to see how square and parallel it is.
If it's not too bad I'll use it. If it's way out I can fuss with it. I have time coming up in 2023.

Got home a bit ago, took a better look at this thing.
Boy, rough casting!
I think Stefan is right. This is a rough casting like a kit. We need to finish it.

I have found SHARS to be a reputable company with better than standard Chinese stuff. You might want to call and see about a replacement even though you didn't buy it from them. Personally I would move mildly inboard and re-drill it.

Jeff
In a home shop I would use it as is and not worry about it. I have drilled ten thousands of parts on this type of indexer. I have 2 of them in my shop. Not only do they work well with 5c collets and oversize step collets they are perfect for holding
on the bore or any hole on a part and machining the outside of a part. You can set it to index 24 places or you can set to anything that you can divide into 24. If you wanted to make a bolt head you set it to 6 places by just unscrewing six set screws
and you are good to go. To hold on the id of a part you need a Id collet. Google or you tube Rovi collets for a demo.
You could even mill a Rovi Id collet to a square and then use it to hold parts with a square Id bore to do drilling or milling for a next operation.

Jeff ,next time I am able to make a SVHS meeting I will show you how well they work.
Jim Sehr

Jim,
I'm looking forward to it.
Maybe soon??
It's been over a year.
Jeff
If you look at these indexers on eBay you will see about half of them have taken the indexing handle off because they can get in the way of their setups. Then they lost them. Never do that. That said the pin is just a stop for indexing and you could get by without it.
Another thing is the indexers centerline is 4 inches from the base so you can use that info in making your set ups.
Jim Sehr

What Aukai said. Put in enough epoxy to give a decent amount surrounding the pin. If you straighten the pin first and drive it down so only 1/2 sticks out before placing the epoxy you can gget by with no machining.

Back