Hot wire foam cutter

Gadget

Active User
Registered
I just finished a hot wire foam cutter. I welded the frame and have the wire power hooked up but not totally enclosed yet. Here's a video of the first cut.

[video=youtube_share;WlnFRUMEyHE]http://youtu.be/WlnFRUMEyHE[/video]

You can get the foam cutter nichrome wire at Tower Hobbies if you have difficulty finding any. We have been using Foam and Obechi for ultra strong wing panels for a good while. Put a little carbon fiber in high stress areas, paint on some resin and vacuum bag the whole thing. Tougher than titanium and way cheaper. If you need procedure help or which items work best give me a holler and I will be glad to hook you up with my info.

Bob

Gadget,

Thats a real "cool" hot wire cutter. Great job!

What kind of voltages and transformer are you using?

Benny

Gadget,

Thats a real "cool" hot wire cutter. Great job!

What kind of voltages and transformer are you using?

Benny

I'm using a transformer out of an old computer UPS. 120v in 12V out. I put a light dimmer on the input side to adjust the wire temp. A lot of people use a 12V transformer from RS but I had this one on hand.

That would be really useful for lost-foam casting. No room in the shop for a new station, though. Good post.

That would be really useful for lost-foam casting. No room in the shop for a new station, though. Good post.

Mike, mine folds flat up against the wall and hinges out over my welding table which also folds down so no lost space there.

That implies that you have available wall. :biggrin: One of my belt sanders is already on an old TV swing arm. But you've given me an idea. If I stored it up between the joists and used it in the welding booth...:thinking:

Last edited:
Gadget, thanks for the post and build information. I may borrow your idea if you don't mind. I have been planning to put a hand wash sink in the garage/shop but need to insulate it for protection from freeze during the winter since the garage is not heated. I had planned to use the foam insulation board and a strip heater for the sink and enclosure. Original thought was to cut the foam with a bandsaw or sawzall but the wire would be cleaner.

Thanks,
Benny

Gadget, thanks for the post and build information. I may borrow your idea if you don't mind. I have been planning to put a hand wash sink in the garage/shop but need to insulate it for protection from freeze during the winter since the garage is not heated. I had planned to use the foam insulation board and a strip heater for the sink and enclosure. Original thought was to cut the foam with a bandsaw or sawzall but the wire would be cleaner.

Thanks,
Benny

Benny,
I posted this here so others could use it so adapt it to suit your needs and go for it. You can probably use an auto 6V battery charger to heat the wire in a pinch. If you have a rheostat or router speed controller you can plug the charger in that and have a way to reduce the voltage. You could probably use the 12V charge side with the rheostat on the AC side and get the voltage just where you need it.

If you have a rheostat or router speed controller you can plug the charger in that and have a way to reduce the voltage. You could probably use the 12V charge side with the rheostat on the AC side and get the voltage just where you need it.

Gadget,

I have a variable AC transformer and an old battery charger transformer so I'm set there. How critical is the wire size? Rbeckett suggested getting it at Tower Hobbies but we don't have that store in the middle TN area. We do have Hobby Lobby but I don't have a clue what hobby would use that wire. Any clues where to find it?

Thanks. Benny

Back