Hot wire foam cutter

Gadget,

I have a variable AC transformer and an old battery charger transformer so I'm set there. How critical is the wire size? Rbeckett suggested getting it at Tower Hobbies but we don't have that store in the middle TN area. We do have Hobby Lobby but I don't have a clue what hobby would use that wire. Any clues where to find it?

Thanks. Benny

Here's a link to some 32 gauge which should be about right for foam cutting. Right now I'm using guitar strings that are about .008 That's pretty close to 32 gauge I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nichrome-Wi...aultDomain_0&hash=item3a66cf83f4#ht_500wt_969

That is a really cool Gadget....Gadget, You could make a wood template to trace or follow around. Similar to a pin router.
Joe

That is a really cool Gadget....Gadget, You could make a wood template to trace or follow around. Similar to a pin router.
Joe

Joe, that's exactly what I intend to do. I made a template the other day on my CNC router and used it yesterday with good results. I'm still experimenting with the right wire temp and feed. I probably need to get the right tension on the wire too but I'll wait on that till I get the nichrome wire.

Dan

I took the hotwire bow off the wall and mounted it on my CNC table. The CNC can now perform routing, light milling in aluminum, plasma cutting, and now foam cutting. I'm designing new bearing skates for the CNC table and made a test cut in scrap foam today. It turned out well but needs a few adjustments. The bearing slots are too long and the opening at the Y needs to be slightly larger. I'm getting close to cutting the final patterns.

GEDC0081.JPGGEDC0076.JPG

GEDC0076.JPG GEDC0081.JPG

That's awesome. What kind of CNC table do you have?

It's a home made table built from plans by solsylva.com. I've replaced that table now with a new all metal table using belt drive using plans from the same company.

Good to revisit this thread. I now have a CNC X2 mill. Not much travel (about 6 x 9), but enough for a lot of lost-foam patterns. It would be easy to make up a plywood table that bolts onto the mill table and hangs out to where a hot-wire could reach it. Doesn't have to be over the table. Just added it to the project list.

Back