How can I form a piece of brass tubing into a tool handle ferrule?

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
Registered
I have a fairly nice set of small hand files which I keep in the folding plastic holder. The tangs are bare, and just for fun I'd like to make some wooden handles for them. My idea is to drill into into one end of some wood dowel and insert part of the tang into the dowel. That's all staightforward, but the part that baffles me is how I can make ferrules with a partially closed crimp at one end like the ones depicted in these photos... I'd like to use brass tubing pieces, but I can't figure out how I can form one of the ends so that it has the familiar inward-bend... is it possible?
Any advice or comments welcome. The red arrows show what I'm after.....
GRAVER1_edited.jpg
GRAVER2_edited.jpg

Yes it can be done. Look into Metal Spinning or Forming. Basically, mount the blank ferrule on a mandrel with part of it sticking out, chuck it in the lathe, run at a medium speed, use a blunt, smooth tool and lubricant to push the exposed end to the ferrule over the end of the mandrel.

Check this thread out.

Also, McMaster has some hose-end ferrules that could work:

20240510 Hose-End Ferrules.png
Slip them on the end of the handles and use a center punch to secure the ferrule to the wood as in your photos (maybe a little superglue, too?).

Yes it can be done. Look into Metal Spinning or Forming. Basically, mount the blank ferrule on a mandrel with part of it sticking out, chuck it in the lathe, run at a medium speed, use a blunt, smooth tool and lubricant to push the exposed end to the ferrule over the end of the mandrel.
OK, that makes sense... thank you!

Check this thread out.

Also, McMaster has some hose-end ferrules that could work:

View attachment 489590
Slip them on the end of the handles and use a center punch to secure the ferrule to the wood as in your photos (maybe a little superglue, too?).
I use McMaster-Carr frequently but I've never seen those ferrules! The one I would want would be the 2nd one with the 0.38" ID, but at almost $21 apiece that's a bit expensive! I think I'll try making my own, but those are just what I'd like to have. Thank you.

I use McMaster-Carr frequently but I've never seen those ferrules! The one I would want would be the 2nd one with the 0.38" ID, but at almost $21 apiece that's a bit expensive! I think I'll try making my own, but those are just what I'd like to have. Thank you.
It's $21 for 50 pieces. But less fun!

Back