How can I form a piece of brass tubing into a tool handle ferrule?

I have a fairly nice set of small hand files which I keep in the folding plastic holder. The tangs are bare, and just for fun I'd like to make some wooden handles for them. My idea is to drill into into one end of some wood dowel and insert part of the tang into the dowel. That's all staightforward, but the part that baffles me is how I can make ferrules with a partially closed crimp at one end like the ones depicted in these photos... I'd like to use brass tubing pieces, but I can't figure out how I can form one of the ends so that it has the familiar inward-bend... is it possible?
Any advice or comments welcome. The red arrows show what I'm after.....
View attachment 489539
View attachment 489540
You might find this of interest....

Yes it can be done. Look into Metal Spinning or Forming. Basically, mount the blank ferrule on a mandrel with part of it sticking out, chuck it in the lathe, run at a medium speed, use a blunt, smooth tool and lubricant to push the exposed end to the ferrule over the end of the mandrel.
+1! The trick to any kind of metal forming is a little at a time. To some this seems a no brainer but to others who just want to get it done right now it’s the difference between success and failure. Also got to be sure your material is annealed/soft.

My wife is working on a handle for a wood lathe turning tool, I would suggest that when you say dowel it would likely be preferable that it be a long grain hard wood.
For the dowels, I've already picked out a couple of 36" pieces of dark walnut 3/8" dowel. I'm pretty sure walnut is hardwood, but I might be wrong. I deliberately bought too much of it, in case I mess up a few of the handles on the first couple of tries.

For the dowels, I've already picked out a couple of 36" pieces of dark walnut 3/8" dowel. I'm pretty sure walnut is hardwood, but I might be wrong. I deliberately bought too much of it, in case I mess up a few of the handles on the first couple of tries.
Yes, Walnut is a hardwood. It should make excellent handles.

+1! The trick to any kind of metal forming is a little at a time. To some this seems a no brainer but to others who just want to get it done right now it’s the difference between success and failure. Also got to be sure your material is annealed/soft.
Hmmm... the brass tubing I bought is just the stuff I found at a local Ace Hardware - so I don't know how annealed it actually is... I guess I can always just take the pieces and heat them with a torch...!!!

Back