How can I recut threads on a rod? The first set was not deep enough.

Guys, thanks for all the suggestions. The rod starts out 12" long and fter threading them they get a 3 Inch bend in them for an adjusting rod so it turns into an L shape. That is why I can't put them in the rigid or a lathe again. I have tried a Hanson 1/2" die with mixed results. Basically I want to know if there is a specific tool which can slightly recut the threads a little deeper. Would the thread chaser do the trick better than a normal die would? Yes, I learned I should check my threads more often now!!!!

Get a round split adjustable die and suitable die stock. They are designed for cutting threads, not for cleaning up damaged threads. The adjustment will allow you to get the fit you need. Hex dies are generally not designed to cut new threads.

OK, I have cut 1/2" threads on a bunch of rods with my rigid pipe threader. Evidently something either moved or has wear because after threading them they are not quite right and the nut goes on very hard. I need to recut them. I can't run them through the rigid machine because there is a bent handle on the rod now. The question is, how can I recut the threads a little to clean them up? I have tried a die set with some success but it doesn't always work. Is there a special tool that will do this well? I must add that the threads are 6" deep. I have 200 of these to fix.
Thanks for any help.

What size was the rod in the threaded area to start with? The reason I ask is, while I have no idea what dies you are using, I have a few (They are larger ones....) that do not truncate the peak of the thread. If you did half inch threads on a 0.500 inch rod, it "might" not need the threads cut lower, it might just need the outside diameter (peaks of the threads) trimmed off? Or if you mic over the threads (regular flat anvil mic), are they about 0.008 under a half inch diameter for coarse threads, or maybe 0.005 under for fine threads?

Jake M, I will check tomorrow. I start with 1/2 rod. The rigid dies are adjustable and I have cut a lot of feet with the dies so they may be getting worn as well.

Brian (Brino), Yeah I have made something similar because sometimes I have to run the die over the threads when they come back from powder coater to clean them up a bit. Works good usually but this time it seems as though the dies are either getting damaged or something because it is ruining the bolts now. Hence the question if I am using the correct tool for the job.

Back