How did this happen? Bent gear shaft...

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
When I was setting up to thread some delrin on my lathe I noticed the carriage crank had an odd periodicity to it. Kind of a thump, kathump sort of feeling. Removed the apron from the lathe and found a bent shaft, or at least it looks that way to me. The bend is towards the front, like there was a crash into the tailstock. But I didn't crash into the tailstock. Recently I stalled the motor while parting, but that's about it.
IMG_20200708_120235.jpg
That gear shouldn't look like that, right?

I'll try to disassemble it further. Hopefully it isn't the apron itself.

It certainly got jammed up somehow, since it appears that there is no power feed other than the lead screw, I'd think that something was about to jam up and someone grabbed the carriage handwheel in an attempt to stop it. Panic!

Apparently there was some kind of jam. Well, stuff happens. I'm surprised there's that much of a bend. Need to pull it apart and inspect the damage. Maybe its something simple that I can fix or fabricate myself. Diving in...

It looks like it may be an easy fix, perhaps straighten or replace the shaft that the gear rotates on.

Anyone know how the hand wheel is held on? I removed the acorn nut and the set screw but the wheel seems to be stuck on. Does it thread off or do I use a wheel puller?

The hand wheel needs to be removed to get access to the back of the shaft. I hope then I could use a punch to push out the pin. Rather do that then grab the shaft in vise grips and twist it.

I think the bent shaft gear assembly is bearing against the pinion gear attached to the handwheel, you may have to straighten the shaft somewhat in place to be able to get things apart. The handwheel would not be threaded on, you likely need a puller.

The hand wheel drives a second gear. The shaft should just be sitting in a socket. Once the retainer is unfastened, the assembly should slide out.

The large gear on the shaft pulled right off easily. The shaft is bent near the bottom.

Tried a wheel puller and it didn't want to move. It was a 2 arm puller. Not comfortable cranking down on that aluminum wheel. Have to look around for a 3 jaw puller, know there is one somewhere!

The hand wheel drives a second gear. The shaft should just be sitting in a socket. Once the retainer is unfastened, the assembly should slide out.
Is there another retainer besides the set screw and nut?

Back