How did this happen? Bent gear shaft...

I wouldn’t buy an arbor press for that. Go to the hardware and buy a piece of or 1” pipe. Not copper, a piece of 6” long black iron pipe .
Slide the shaft In the pipe and rest it on concrete. As long as the pipe is resting flush against the cast iron housing....and other end flush against the ground....you should now have a pretty stable support to drive the shaft out .

Probably should have known better... Cheap vise vs pin, vise loses. :disspirited: Used an impact socket as a spacer, and a short piece of 1/4" O1 rod to push the pin out. Result: broken cast iron vise nut in two places. Drat. For the record, it was a 5" Central Forge vise that was in my father's garage. Not crying too much, since the fit and finish on that vise really was awful. But, it's not good to be down one vise. Still have my 4" Sheffield vise. Fortunately, the Sheffield was slightly too small, (to fit the socket, apron, pin stack) or it may have suffered the same fate. Never realized the nuts were cast.
IMG_20200716_130026.jpg
On the positive side, I received all the parts from LMS, including a replacement gear assembly. Next I'll try a punch and the impact socket with a big hammer. If that doesn't work, I'm going to farm it out. Don't have a hydraulic press, nor space to put one. What's been revealing to me is that I've been thinking that, "gee that would be easy to do, if I had a working lathe...", while trying to repair the lathe.

Doh!
I was about to suggest using a vise as a press rather than buying an arbor press.
Now I'm glad that I did not suggest it!
-brino

In a fit of madness, I suggested it to myself! @brino (in this case,) it wasn't your fault :) Just joking...

This repair has been fighting all my attempts so far. Going to go nuclear and get the the big fat hammer! (BFH)

2.5 lb head BFH did not produce measurable results. Can't hold everything still enough to get more than a single hit. (And not hit myself!) Pin really hasn't moved. I put a 3/8" thick piece of 1144 on the ground (asphalt driveway), then the heavy wall impact socket, then the cast iron housing with the pin sticking towards the ground. With the punch centered on the pin, hit it with the BFH. Multiple times, nay, lots and lots of times, still nothing. Obviously need to try something different, but am not sure what.

if these were fixed together with a lock-tite, perhaps heat can break that bond.

heat one and cool the other?
or cool the whole thing(freezer), and then carefully heat the housing

-brino

If there’s no locking pin anywhere then I’d lean toward Bruno’s suggestion and heat it. Whenever you work on older machines always assume that there’s a chance of Loctite. Heat to about 250 degrees and let cool. That’s usually enough.
fwiw....double check you don’t have a locking pin anywhere. That diagram isn’t necessary same as yours. One never knows. Use a flashlight and look for any round spots of different colors which may be a roll pin.

My parts diagram does not show any pins. When asked in an email, Little Machine Shop just said to press the shaft out.

I can heat the apron. First I have to remove the lead screw half nut assembly. Along with the little gib. No need to cook that, or the grease that's there. Got to check if we have a junk toaster oven to try out this half baked idea. :D

Loctite says 250 degrees. Stick it in a preheated oven at 275 to 300 degrees for 45 minutes. That should do the trick. And just turn oven off....let it cool overnight in the oven. Don’t want to risk cooling cast iron too quickly.

No spare toaster oven. Not been feeling to well this past week, so not going out "there" to find one.

Since I've disassembled everything on the lathe apron, could I partially mill or drill out the pin? The new pin mikes out at 0.316" on one end and 0.31375" on the other. The 0.316" section is about 0.4" long, and it appears to be the part that presses in the apron. The 0.316" end will not fit through the gear assembly, but the longer 0.31375" diameter part does.
IMG_20200717_104650.jpg
Not sure how to center a drill, through... Not much to center on. Maybe I could eye a 0.25" end mill down the middle. Hopefully I could then drive the pin out. Or is this a bad idea?

Back