How do I get the edgefinder back together?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys!

Won this used Starrett Edgefinder in an Ebay auction. Received it, proceeded to turn the knob and one side popped off the spring.

Attachments

• finder.gif
    finder.gif
    429.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Go ahead and screw the anchor eyes into the end parts. Get a piece of thread looped into one end of the spring and run it through the body. Hook the spring on one of the anchor eyes and pull the thread until the spring is just long enough to hook into the other end piece/anchor eye. Pull the thread free.

Oh, and make sure the end surfaces of all three pieces are very smooth, very flat, and completely burr and nick free. You will want to test this for accuracy after reassembly.

Awesome!

A newbie question, I know, but I was stumped!

Thanks Tony!

Best,

Nelson

Hi. I agree with everything Tony said. once I get the spring pulled thru the tube, I slide my 6" flexible scale between the coils of the spring. This will hold the spring's hook out where you can work on getting the end hooked. Then pull the end you just hooked to release the scale.

Ed

Ed Hoc link=topic=1461.msg8014#msg8014 date=1301363567 said:
Hi. I agree with everything Tony said. once I get the spring pulled thru the tube, I slide my 6" flexible scale between the coils of the spring. This will hold the spring's hook out where you can work on getting the end hooked. Then pull the end you just hooked to release the scale.

Ed

Thread broke! Damn, I'm stupid! LOL ::) I will have to use something stronger.

If you look closely at the spring, there is a notch in part of it. I presume this is where the LAST owner stuck his flexible ruler to hold it in place while he worked on the spring.

Best,

Nelson
(they call me "allthumbz" for a reason!)

You don't want to extend that spring any more than necessary, Nelson. Part of the accuracy is keeping good spring tension.

I used to get them from guys in a shop I worked in. They kept unscrewing them running them too fast on the machining centers. I'd put them back together for them. Once in a while, they would wreck one good and I have a box of bits and pieces of them. After a while, it took only a couple of minutes to reassemble one.

Nelson link=topic=1461.msg8082#msg8082 date=1301419591 said:
Dental floss.

Highpower link=topic=1461.msg8138#msg8138 date=1301447679 said:
Nelson link=topic=1461.msg8082#msg8082 date=1301419591 said:
Dental floss.

HP- that may do it!!

The loops on the ends of the spring weren't in good shape.

Thanks!

Nelson

Back