How do I get the edgefinder back together?

Tony Wells link=topic=1461.msg10275#msg10275 date=1302735356 said:
I'll be glad to send a new spring, no charge!

Tony,

That is very kind of you! I will PM my address! Thank you!!

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
Got your PM. Will send it out tomorrow! :) Glad to help.

Now that is what I call friendship... free advice and free parts!!! Gotta love it!

Heck of a deal since the shipping alone on that itty-bitty spring would have been 10 bucks from Starrett!

Been there, done that - didn't get a t-shirt though.... :(

;D

Fixed- Thanks to Tony!

Spring arrived yesterday afternoon! Thanks to Tony, who sent me the spring, it is fixed!

Because I am "Allthumbz" I made a spring puller out of a paper clip to pull the spring through the tube and into position.

Good deal, Nelson. You probably should test it against a jo block or 1-2-3 block or something to see if it's accurate.

Tony Wells link=topic=1461.msg11084#msg11084 date=1303221142 said:
Good deal, Nelson. You probably should test it against a jo block or 1-2-3 block or something to see if it's accurate.
Son of a gun. That is a great tip! I never would have though of doing that, but I'll sure be trying it now.
beerchug.gif

Tony Wells link=topic=1461.msg11084#msg11084 date=1303221142 said:

Tony,

what is a "jo block"? (I know, I'm stupid!) I don't have any 1-2-3 blocks now, but added an economy set from Enco to my wish list.

Best,

Nelson

FWIW, edge finders will work at all different speeds, but many people run them way too fast. They give me best results at about 600-800 RPM.

"jo blocks" are in reality gage blocks. Just an old name for them that people generally known them by. Every shop should have a set. The shop grade - B, I think it is, is not very expensive. They are precision ground and lapped specimens of tool steel that come in a set, the basic set I am recommending has 81 pieces, starting at 0.050, then 0.1000 through 0.1009 by tenths, then 0.101 - 0.150 by 0.001, then well...you get the idea. They stop at 4.0000 in the basic set. Here's a link to a set:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRI...re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

Back