How do I hold this thin stock?

Yes. The cold rolling of the metal sets up stresses on the surfaces. If you mill one wide side of a piece of flat stock, it will usually warp up at the ends like a banana. You won't notice it until you unclamp the part from the table, then it will be obvious.

This can also happen with extruded aluminum.

I'd use longer metal and then cut to length. As for set up I'd drill first then the taper. Next the width after cking I'd cut and mill the lengths. The taper can be cut several ways. Angle vise, strapped to the table with a dowel underneath 1/16" seems right . That's the reason for longer material to hold for milling. Just off the top of my old head.

I need to fab this part for a "customer".
Please note his attached hand drawn print.
Well, in the 'other' ideas camp, you can find a 1x2" bar, bore the holes in it, and slice off wedges
by cutting straight/slant/straight/slant... with a good cutoff saw.

Here's Clickspring using CA and a torch. He attaches a clock gear blank around 1:20, torches it off around 6:00

p.s., don't blame me if you end up watching all 24 installments!

First get material longer than needed and just a bit thicker.

First drill 2 holes at each end for drywall screws.

Next select a good chunk of wood to place in vice and make it true flat with a fly cutter or cup mill.

Determine how to hold the angle and make that part next.

Place stock in vice on parallels just prowd of jaws and skim the top to make a good flat true side.

Place wood in vice and screw stock in place and drill all holes.

Fixture for angle cutting and cut surface in center.

Where screws are one at a time can be removed to allow cut or leave in and trim the ends after taper.

Now add scres and wsshers into part holes then trim ends with hack saw or end mill then square up.

All cuts need light passes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

My $0.01. I have done similar type machining. What I use is a 4"X6" vacuum chuck attached to an angle plate. First machined the surfaces rough on BP mill then put on surface grinder to finish. Last project was 1" wide 6" long 3/32" depth with 2 degree taper in width. Had to surface grind both face surfaces 3 times to get it right. Sorry no pictures were taken. Vacuum chucks are fairly powerful and moderately easy to build from square / rectangular tubing. Depending on force needed vacuum producers are around. A vacuum cleaner works pretty good from there a diaphragm type air compressor modified to use intake port for vacuum.

Back