How Do I Make This?

If I had 1 or 2 parts I would drill and countersink the 2 holes then saw. Set part on parallels in vise with the flat side up and the 2 inch length perpendicular to the vise jaws , use a dial indicator and touch off the side of the .25 hole and move Z up and down in the hole, rotate part until the hole is parallel to the Z axis and then face to thickness. Make sure not to over tighten the vise or you will bow the material.

Thanks for the comments, guys. What clicked for me was the suggestion to leave the stock long to serve as a handle. I cut the piece to rough size and clamped it in a v-block. I supported the free end with a jack to prevent chatter.
setup 640.jpg
I milled it down to 5/16 instead of 1/4 because I was a little worried about the flex. The jack didn't work because it flexed the tongue upward. So I milled it with small cuts. I put the jack back under to support it while drilling the holes.
milled 640.jpg
After drilling the holes, I bandsawed the part off the rod and smoothed the edge on the belt sander.
adapter 640.jpg
I think its going to work great. Thanks again for your help.

regards,
Leon

If you take a piece of 7/8 round stock and machine a 1/4 inch flat the length of your part and drill two 1/4 inch holes thru stock. flip round over then countersink the 1/4 inch holes to put 1/4 socket head screws thru fixture. Then using a piece of 1/4 x 1 inch wide piece of plastic with two tapped 1/4 holes you can bolt the 1/4 inch flat stock to fixture and turn the 7/8 dia on lathe.
The part is done except you may have to ream the tapped holes too 1/4 dia.
jimsehr

Back