[How do I?] How do I remove this?

It occurred to me that I am going to replace the ER11 tool holder with a three jaw chuck. The three jaw chuck is threaded inside M14x1 (14mm diameter, 1 mm thread pitch). I have an adapter that connects an 8mm shaft to M14x1 threads. Unfortunately, the tool holder is threaded outside with M14x0.75 threads. (Damn! So close to getting really lucky!)

So...what if...I cranked an M14x1 die over the M14x0.75 threads? I fear it would turn into a bloody mess. Or..... might it leave some usable threads that I could just screw my threaded chuck onto. Problem solved?

Anyone ever tried something like this?

Not a good idea. Run out would suck. And you want a secure fit so the chuck don't fly off.

Yea, that's what I was afraid of... :-( but then I have nothing to lose... :)

Except when the chuck fly's of because of poor fitting threads.

Yea, that's what I was afraid of... :-( but then I have nothing to lose... :)

Except when the chuck fly's of because of poor fitting threads.

Yea, there's that. Lol But I would only turn it in the direction that tightens. On the other hand, under load the remaining few threads might shear off entirely. You wouldn't want to be standing nearby. I knew it was a stupid idea.

Ok what is the intended use? And what is the size of the chuck?

Ok what is the intended use? And what is the size of the chuck?
I do cue repairs. Mostly ferrule and tip replacement. For ferrule work, a fair degree of accuracy is required. Today's high end cues are expensive and most pool players are picky. I do occasional work on butts as well, generally rewraps. The chuck is only a tiny little 2 1/2" (63mm) thing, but I wouldn't to be working on cue and have it fly off.

Well if you use much heat you will risk the motor. Have you file tested it for hardness?

Back