[How-To] How do I set diameter?

Set that boring head and do it . :big grin:

I see you copied my knurling tool arm.:) To be fair, mine is a whole lot bigger. It is 7/8" square CRS about 5" long. The vertical piece has 2 positions, allowing me to move the arm up and down. Capacity is 0-5". I originally started with an arm about your size and realized that with the projects I had, I would be working at full capacity most of the time, so I keep scaling it up. The radius for the rotating half round is the same. I have all the fly cutters and boring bars and rotary tables, etc. I broke down and bought a 7/8" HSS 4 flute cutter on Ebay for $10. I will do a single plunge cut about .002-3 shy of the desired depth (close to yours) and do a slow climb cut in for smoothness.

IMO this is a case where just spend the money for the end mill and holder. Use it and put it away. You will find more use for it in the future.

David, just my 2-1/2 cents.

I see you copied my knurling tool arm.:) To be fair, mine is a whole lot bigger. It is 7/8" square CRS about 5" long. The vertical piece has 2 positions, allowing me to move the arm up and down. Capacity is 0-5". I originally started with an arm about your size and realized that with the projects I had, I would be working at full capacity most of the time, so I keep scaling it up. The radius for the rotating half round is the same. I have all the fly cutters and boring bars and rotary tables, etc. I broke down and bought a 7/8" HSS 4 flute cutter on Ebay for $10. I will do a single plunge cut about .002-3 shy of the desired depth (close to yours) and do a slow climb cut in for smoothness.

IMO this is a case where just spend the money for the end mill and holder. Use it and put it away. You will find more use for it in the future.

David, just my 2-1/2 cents.

Thanks @Chewy!
I think I will do that actually. I can easily get a 7/8” end mill with a 3/4” shank.

Last edited:
What diameter did you have in mind? Specifics would probably help here, assuming you are sticking to machining. Diameter of the earth, for example, probably belongs on another site.

Edit: apologies, this is off topic. Please ignore.

Last edited:
Back