How do you keep parallels from moving around?

And here's another idea.

I made a couple of these and have a small box of small springs close by. I have the Mag/Keepers, but as has been noted by others, they collect steel swarf (like magnets ).

I didn't read all the posts in this thread , I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned:
I use the metal strapping trick, learned it from a tool & die maker , cut two small pieces( 4" or 6" lengths) of heavy duty metal strapping, bend each one to a "Z "shape, put them inside the jaws , done, if they are too weak to push the parallels back, cut longer lengths.

Remember to remove your hand before smacking down with the hammer . This was not taught to a trainee that lasted 1 hour . :rolleyes::grin:
A student teacher at our high school in the mid-1960's was helping build a set for a play. She was holding a piece of 2x4 in her left hand with the palm behind the hole she was drilling with a pistol drill. When the drill broke through, fortunately there were no bones in the way, and the bit came out through the back of her hand. She did release the trigger pretty quickly, and didn't try to jerk the bit out. A Liberal Arts major.

A student teacher at our high school in the mid-1960's was helping build a set for a play. She was holding a piece of 2x4 in her left hand with the palm behind the hole she was drilling with a pistol drill. When the drill broke through, fortunately there were no bones in the way, and the bit came out through the back of her hand. She did release the trigger pretty quickly, and didn't try to jerk the bit out. A Liberal Arts major.
I had to stop a guy in our freshman high school wood shop (basic hand tools & joinery). He had a board in the vise and was ripping it to width with a handsaw; as he had been told, he was using the side of his left thumb to position & guide the saw blade that was in his right hand: only problem, the four fingers on his left hand were wrapped around the back of the board directly in the path of the blade. He probably (maybe? he was going at it pretty fast) wouldn't have cut any of them off, but it would have made a mess.

See tips 1 & 2 at the beginning of the video.

I worked in CNC mill production once upon a time. I learned that to shrink tolerances from .005 down to .001 took extra steps. Clean the jaws of all chips and specks. Torque-seat with mallet-torque and make sure the piece seats dead solid. If the parallels move, the part isn't precision tight in the fixture. Cheap vises don't help, they are part and parcel to the system. I use my fingers to align parallels, and if they move, I'm not going to hit my dimension, because the part isn't truly parallel in the vise. Think about it.

Edit- unless you're just working with what you've got, then do what it takes to make good enough.

Back