How do you store your drill bits?

author=Nelson link=topic=1687.msg10284#msg10284 date=1302739979

Frank,

Did you make those holders or are they store-bought?

Nelson

Most of my drill index holders are Huot brand from Enco or the equivalent. I do have some shop built ones, particularly for special sets, or special uses. Like this one I have on the wall behind the lathe:

[attachimg=1]

There, I have some standard size jobber drills. Many of the holes I drill on the lathe are regular inch sizes, or starter holes for boring operations. I find it handy to have a few bits right there for easy grabbing.

Likewise, on the wood tray I built for the drill press:
[attachimg=2]

The bits on that tray are all ones on which I've modified the cutting angle for use in wood, or brass:

064.jpg

IMG_7212.JPG IMG_7211.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the tray for the drill press and, of course, I've admired the hanger for the hex wrenches on the wall...

I see you made a wood holder for some of the larger diameter drills. Like I said, I'm cheap, I will use a 2x4 and drill some holes, or, if I can get a nice piece of wood, rip it down and make some tool holders out of it. I have a router table, but don't usually take the effort to bevel or round over the edges on the wood.

Being "all thumbz", I find a wood block to be pretty hard to knock over and dump all the drills out on the floor. Oh, I have done it, but it ain't easy.

Best,

Nelson

author=knudsen link=topic=1687.msg10903#msg10903 date=1303095270
Scratch the Menards/VA case, cheaper at enco :-\

Nelson, check the bottom of this page for open drill stands:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=56&PMCTLG=00

Under $5

Jon,

For that price, it doesn't pay to make them. I will pick up a few. The metal ones are heavier and resist tipping, which is nice also.

Best,

Nelson

Forgot to show a photo of my favorite drill index:

It's a set of number drills with hex shanks - #42 - 60. I use them often for work on instruments, and being able to plug 'em into my electric screwdriver saves me lots of time.

I just turned a bunch of 1/4" hex brass stock blanks, and drilled each with the corresponding drill, which I glued in with a bit of green Loctite. If I break one, I can simply heat it and cement in another:

Haven't really solved the problem yet, but for small drills this works pretty good. These are the plastic bottles sold to coin collectors; come in various sizes - dime, penny, nickel, quarter.

author=knudsen link=topic=1687.msg11113#msg11113 date=1303228614
Pretty sweet, Frank. I see you like plexiglass bling too :D

Are plexiglass blocks like that hard to drill into with a regular drill press?

Best,

Nelson

Nice job Jon!

That makes your drills and center drills very handy!

Best,

Nelson

I keep my smaller bits in the indexed box they came in and my milling cutters and taper shank bits in my own indexed box.
The collection of taper shank drills came with the drill press and were all loose in a box.
I already had the storage cupboard so a quick bit of cabinet work was all that was required. The tubes to hold the drills are PVC conduit. I used a holesaw to counter bore the OD of the conduit from the back and then flipped it over and drilled through the timber top to suit the inner diameter of the conduit. There is a similar board locating the bottoms of the conduits. I then just cut wood dowels to appropriate lengths that drop in to the conduits to hold the bits up to similar heights. Some of those bigger drills are close to original lengths, (12ish+ ") and some are wore right down to stubs, but at least they dont disappear out of sight down the conduits for ever ;D

Back