[4]

How do you store your taps and dies?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have come into a boatload of taps and dies. They aren’t in an organized box or anything. If you have a good method, please share some photos.....thanks!

murraym

Registered
All the tap and die sets I have bought are in their respective OE packaging. All the FIL taps from his work toolbox.......Cheap harbor freight storage bins. I think there is enough for a couple more generations lol

Attachments

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
Using some 3/4 to 1" thick foam insulation panel pieces works well from keeping the tools from coming into contact with each other. Its relatively cheap and very easily adaptable and super easy to custom set each tools dedicated spot. How i did it in the past was to line the drawer with the foam then i gently heated the tap or die just enough to heat the metal enough to melt itself into a perfectly fitting secured holder spot.in the foam. ****Note on the longer taps and drill bits I inserted the bits into the foam at about a 45° angle to accommodate using a shallow depth drawer. I then pinned a printed/laminated list of each tool size next to each position along each row of cutters (in this actual case they were drill bits along with some tap and dies). Sorry i have no pictures as this was from long ago in another lifetime when i had more of a wood shop setup.

BGHansen

My sets are in the stock cases (have 5 or 6 of them), bulk extras are in their packing plastic tubes in bins by size (some loose ones in there too), and loose ones in a tool box drawer. Yeah, I admit to not separating them so they can't touch each other in drawers. I'm not driving down bumpy roads with them banging into each other. I'm probably wrong, but honestly if you set a tap next to another tap, will it actually dull? There will be responses saying "No, don't them them touch each other". But I'm more of a "prove it to me" type of guy.

My cynicism started after hearing a seminar by Amar Bose of Bose speakers around 30 years ago. He was a professor at MIT and required all of his grad students to check out the book "The Emperor's New Clothes" from the library. They were instructed to transpose the story, everywhere "clothes" was written, they substituted "audio equipment". Everywhere it mentioned the people or emperor, they wrote "audiophile". His point was an audiophile will say "Oh, this $2000 Nakamichi 500 receiver sounds far better than this $100 Panasonic 100 model". The Nakamichi only has 0.01% total harmonic distortion while the Panasonic 100 has 0.5% total harmonic distortion. Problem is, they are both being played through speakers with at best 15% distortion. The only way to "hear" the difference is with an oscilloscope, the human ear can not detect the difference because the weak link is the speaker. Of course, Bose was in the speaker business so consider the source. Listening to him changed my perspective on a lot of things and I now routinely question "conventional wisdom". Because someone says it doesn't make it true.

Anyway, has anyone actually taken a brand new 1/2"-13 tap and measured the torque to run a thread in a piece of 1/2" CRS. Bang the heck out of it next to another tap, then repeat and measure the torque again? If the tap dulls, seems like it would take more torque if it was beat up. I've not done the study, probably should and if it makes a difference I'd put my taps in that Chinese finger trap type of plastic to keep them separated.

I know, that's not what the OP was asking . . . Here are some photos of my "mess".

Bruce

Composite photo of a tool box drawer, loose taps/dies in the bottom one plus a small ACE set

Another drawer (top composite photo) with a couple of sets (4-40 - 1/2 and Metric equivalent) stacked on each other. Some loose metric taps.

Drawer with the majority of my taps/dies. Most are in their factory packaging, but lots of loose ones touching each other also.
Also have a 35-year old Harbor Freight set of 1/4" NC/NF up to 1" NC/NF and an couple of equivalent Greenfield sets in boxes. The HF ones are actually decent!

Firstgear

I’m considering one of these drill cabinets, has a total of 60 slots. I have so much stuff in my garage where I work on building my cars that putting in a lathe and mill along with the associated tooling etc has me trying to get it as organized as I can. Hence thinking about these cabinets....

BldrBill

Well, I can tell you what it is like at the other end of the totem pole. My Irwin sets are in nice tidy boxes, but all the rest are lumped together in some sort of loose organization (metric), small non-metric, large non-metric, and pipe), and held together inside Ziploc bags by aging rubber bands and then dumped into a cardboard box. Grampa’s are in a neat little antique pill box. Low humidity out here; never any rust or dulling as far as I can see, but I'm not vibrating the bunch of misfits by carrying them around in my truck either.

ACHiPo

I use the Huots, although I still have a lot of taps in Altoids and other boxes that are duplicates.

Aukai

Check out this page on Amazon:eek 2: I'm waiting for prime shipping, gonna be a long wait I'm thinking. LOL

BROCKWOOD

Huot & Vidmar are $$$$. Perhaps I should just invest in a sheetmetal brake & make what I really want.............

7milesup

Funny that this just came up. I have one of those Vidmar cabinets, except mine is larger. Probably 32" wide. Filled with random stuff but I know where my stuff is! Payed $60 for it used.

Here is what I am currently working on. Who knows if my idea will work but basically I am building a master drill index. 1/16 -1/2, 1-60 and A-Z with room for more if I need it. We shall see how it turns out.. They don't call me the wood butcher for nothing.

Firstgear

Funny that this just came up. I have one of those Vidmar cabinets, except mine is larger. Probably 32" wide. Filled with random stuff but I know where my stuff is! Payed $60 for it used.

Here is what I am currently working on. Who knows if my idea will work but basically I am building a master drill index. 1/16 -1/2, 1-60 and A-Z with room for more if I need it. We shall see how it turns out.. They don't call me the wood butcher for nothing.

View attachment 287447
If I was skilled at all, I would try something like that.....people such as yourself have skills I always admire!

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
My taps are all stored with the drill needed with them. That way when I need to tap something the drill is already there skipping the step of finding the right drill each time.

I put them in glass test tubes with stoppers, some hold several taps and the drill. Ended up not the best idea since a couple broke. I'd use plastic tubes if I replace the glass ones..

fkrel

Registered
I store mine in two drawers in my side cab tool box from the very smallest to about 3/4 in one drawer and the larger in another drawer same with drill bits two drawers for them I have to many to try to organize and I'm retired so it does not matter that I have to dig thru them. and my tool box stays in one place now

mmcmdl

Staff member
Check out this page on Amazon:eek 2: I'm waiting for prime shipping, gonna be a long wait I'm thinking. LOL
LOL . You're gonna need that Mike ! :big grin:

I planning on storing all my taps and dies at someone elses place ! And they're gonna need more than 1 of those 60" vidmars ! :)

Firstgear

A very minor portion of taps , all in 1 drawer for once ! Making some progress .
That’s my problem.....not all in one place! When I am done that will be fixed!

mmcmdl

Staff member
That’s my problem.....not all in one place! When I am done that will be fixed!
Yes . I know the feeling . Look how fast the tap drawer grows in 30 minutes . And I have just a few center drills , c sinks and spotting drills too .

Good thing is , I only have 3 more Vidmars , 4 roll arounds and countless buckets to sort thru ! :rolleyes:

Attachments

Firstgear

Yes . I know the feeling . Look how fast the tap drawer grows in 30 minutes . And I have just a few center drills , c sinks and spotting drills too .

Good thing is , I only have 3 more Vidmars , 4 roll arounds and countless buckets to sort thru ! :rolleyes:
your drawer with the short and tall, thin and fat taps is what my garage looks like right now. I had to move the 63 SW Corvette into the other garage to make room to be able to get the lathe and the mill into the garage (aka Surgical Suite, where I work on building my cars). I decided that since the place is in a total mess now was the time to get it back to being totally organized. I am pitching stuff I havent used and getting everything else organized. When I had started building the last car, '60 Corvette, I had the garage totally organized, then one of my buddies came over to help with the car...many nights and weekends and the garage went to hell! Now I am bent on getting it back where it was.....

Aukai

I have the body shop guy doing my 70 Chevelle here at the house. Many deep breathing exercises are done when he keeps wrenches, and sockets by is work table, and not in the roll away. OK back on track.

hman

Active User
Several years ago I bought this drill & tap rack (complete with the full set of pretty high quality D&Ts) at an industrial supplier in Oregon. It had been gathering dust on their shelf for what looked like quite a while, and I recall getting a great deal on it. I have lots of other taps, generally half-organized in a variety of drawers, bin boxes, etc. But this is my "go to" set and sits atop the workbench. You can still get the plastic stand/organizer in either inch or metric from Mcmaster-Carr.

Barncat

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
This will make the purists cringe...
I would like to say I don't store my taps this way, but I do own these, and they are stored that way. In my defense, I bought them like this about six months ago, and was just starting to sort them. I think I will organize them in a wooden block like is also in the picture.

mmcmdl

Staff member
I kinda like your system ! :encourage: The smaller taps are very easy to store , but when you get into the larger things , trouble arises . I have these , but they take up too much room and are for organized persons , not me by any means . :rolleyes: I'll put them in the pile below .

Attachments

Last edited:

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
Wow, you all have LOTS of taps. I keep mine in the the little plastic case that holds a three tap set. and all of them fit in ONE drawer of a tool box with room to spare for other tools. I get away with this because the range of TAPs I have is from 4-40 to 1/4-20.

7milesup

The problem with single hole storage solutions is having multiple bits. Then all except the "chosen one" still sit in a drawer or on a bench somewhere, only to be lost to obscurity as to their size. Then out comes the micrometer.
That is why the Huot cabinets make sense to me.

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
The problem with single hole storage solutions is having multiple bits. Then all except the "chosen one" still sit in a drawer or on a bench somewhere, only to be lost to obscurity as to their size. Then out comes the micrometer.
That is why the Huot cabinets make sense to me.
This is where i felt the foam hole plate idea sorta shines in that it is very easy to poke another hole in the spot marked for its size if need be especially the smaller easily lost sizes. The biggest benefit to how i was setup was knowing which bit i was missing (forgot to put away, lost, broke) with a quick glance which was my main reason for my organization setup, keeping them from banging into each other was more a benefit then goal!

Firstgear

Several years ago I bought this drill & tap rack (complete with the full set of pretty high quality D&Ts) at an industrial supplier in Oregon. It had been gathering dust on their shelf for what looked like quite a while, and I recall getting a great deal on it. I have lots of other taps, generally half-organized in a variety of drawers, bin boxes, etc. But this is my "go to" set and sits atop the workbench. You can still get the plastic stand/organizer in either inch or metric from Mcmaster-Carr.
View attachment 287615

View attachment 287616
Very nice! I find if I can keep things organized I can move along on my projects. Thanks for sharing!

Firstgear

This will make the purists cringe...
View attachment 287624
I would like to say I don't store my taps this way, but I do own these, and they are stored that way. In my defense, I bought them like this about six months ago, and was just starting to sort them. I think I will organize them in a wooden block like is also in the picture.
I bought some taps and dies that were stored in wood. The stain in the wood got up into the pieces, also the wood does hold some moisture which leads to rust. I cleaned them with carb cleaner then acetone and finally Evapo-Rust. They came out looking fairly good.

Firstgear

Wow, you all have LOTS of taps. I keep mine in the the little plastic case that holds a three tap set. and all of them fit in ONE drawer of a tool box with room to spare for other tools. I get away with this because the range of TAPs I have is from 4-40 to 1/4-20.
In the pile of taps I got, there was one 0, 1,3 and some 4’s. I must have 20 1/4-20 taps. Tossed a few broken ones. Got a number of Greenfield taps.

[6]
[5] [7]