How Do You Use Stamping Tools?

SE18

Active User
Registered
I purchased a HF Pittsburgh set for $10 of 36 pc 1/8" "special" high carbon steel stamps "what will endure 9000 markings each, according to the package that comes with a lifetime warranty.

- do you just take a hammer and whack them?

- how hard is too hard?

- what types of steel can they stamp? I'm assuming they wont stamp really hard types.

- do you use these for making index markings on things

Thx

Hit them with a hammer, if the stamp is not deep enough carefully reposition them and tap again. How hard you hit the stamp depends on hammer weight, handle length, material, etc.
Scribing parallel lines above and below the area to stamp can aide in keeping the stamp straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a HF Pittsburgh set for $10 of 36 pc 1/8" "special" high carbon steel stamps "what will endure 9000 markings each, according to the package that comes with a lifetime warranty.

Thx

It would be difficult to make accurate index marks without some sort of jig for positioning the stamp. It is difficult to see the position of the stamp feature. A better way would be to scribe the marks.

But, hey, you've got the stamps. Give it a try on a piece of scrap.

I really wouldn't worry about hitting it too hard unless the metal is rather thin or you're a really strong guy using a big hammer.

Don't hit your fingers.

We used to stamp tool steel for cutting dies with them before they were tempered.

"I purchased a HF Pittsburgh set for $10 of 36 pc 1/8" "special" high carbon steel stamps "what will endure 9000 markings each, according to the package that comes with a lifetime warranty."

- do you just take a hammer and whack them? Yup, it takes some practice to hit 'em squarely, to get a clear impression.

- how hard is too hard? When you go clear through.

- what types of steel can they stamp? I'm assuming they wont stamp really hard types. Anything softer than the stamp

- do you use these for making index markings on things? I prefer a sharp cold chisel. Nice bright line.

Thx

It will help to place a piece of masking tape on the surface to just catch the bottom edge of the stamp it will help making a straight stamp also as much as you can prestage the stamps instead of looking for each and stamp from the right to left so you can see better.

How hard you hit the stamp is more art than science. A firm controlled tap is usually enough, depending on the hardness of your work piece. After a while you get a feel for it. Try it on a scrap if you are unsure. My HF stamp sets have held up very well for more than a decade and I expect them to last me the rest of my life.

I use stamps for marking parts for assembly where mounting holes may vary. I also use them to mark keys, such as the keys for my several small gun lock boxes.

- how hard is too hard?

- what types of steel can they stamp? I'm assuming they wont stamp really hard types.

Thx
I use those also and have found that they work well for the cost. I have found that if you need deep impressions you can make a holder for each punch and use shop press to make the impressions. If you stamp right to left your hand and fingers are out of the way and you can get better spacing. Hope that helps.

- how hard is too hard?

Thx

Just smack the stamp with a hammer.I hit once square,then hit again with the stamp tilted about 10° to the left,then right, then forward and last tilted backward.This makes sure the impression is good. I trashed the plastic box it came in and made a wooden holder.Then painted one side of the stamps,the painted side references the correct way to hold the stamp.I stamped the wood just above the hole for each piece.I made two separate holders,one for letters ad a small one for numbers.I have stamped many steels,bronze and other hard metals, never tried tool steel though.
mike

Back